Today is my Fourth Diaversary!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t believe today is my fourth diaversary! From four months after my type 2 diagnosis til now I have managed to keep my HbA1c in the 30s. I had a very difficult year last year with the sudden death of my father and my own additional health problems to deal with and Covid of course, so I saw a small rise in HbA1c to 36 and a larger rise in my weight! After 3 courses of counselling, some medication and support from my family and GP, this January I felt able to get back to a stricter meal plan and I reduced my portion sizes. I have now lost over half of the gained weight. I had bloods taken on Friday, and so far, kidney function, liver function, cholesterol and full blood count have appeared on line, they are all fine from my point of view but my total cholesterol will make my GP flinch! I just have the HbA1c to come, I hope to have lowered my HbA1c back into the lower thirties.

I’ve followed a low carb way of eating with Metformin and self monitoring over the years to achieve all of this, and more recently had the free 14 day trial of the Libre 2, this confirmed my blood sugar levels are steady with no large spikes or dips. It’s still absolutely thanks to the wisdom, support and friendliness of this fantastic forum that I am where I am, for which I’ll be eternally grateful - plus a pinch of effort and will power from me!

I feel so well these days something I was losing rapidly prior to diagnosis which I had mistakenly put down to ageing. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, my type 2 has been a blessing in disguise, it has enabled me to improve many aspects of my health.

This also seems an appropriate time and place to thank everyone who voted me back in as a moderator this week :)

EDIT to add: last week’s HbA1c was 36, so stable :)

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t believe today is my fourth diaversary! From four months after my type 2 diagnosis til now I have managed to keep my HbA1c in the 30s. I had a very difficult year last year with the sudden death of my father and my own additional health problems to deal with and Covid of course, so I saw a small rise in HbA1c to 36 and a larger rise in my weight! After 3 courses of counselling, some medication and support from my family and GP, this January I felt able to get back to a stricter meal plan and I reduced my portion sizes. I have now lost over half of the gained weight. I had bloods taken on Friday, and so far, kidney function, liver function, cholesterol and full blood count have appeared on line, they are all fine from my point of view but my total cholesterol will make my GP flinch! I just have the HbA1c to come, I hope to have lowered my HbA1c back into the lower thirties.

I’ve followed a low carb way of eating with Metformin and self monitoring over the years to achieve all of this, and more recently had the free 14 day trial of the Libre 2, this confirmed my blood sugar levels are steady with no large spikes or dips. It’s still absolutely thanks to the wisdom, support and friendliness of this fantastic forum that I am where I am, for which I’ll be eternally grateful - plus a pinch of effort and will power from me!

I feel so well these days something I was losing rapidly prior to diagnosis which I had mistakenly put down to ageing. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, my type 2 has been a blessing in disguise, it has enabled me to improve many aspects of my health.

This also seems an appropriate time and place to thank everyone who voted me back in as a moderator this week :)
Massive congratulations for all the effort and changes not once but twice. Second time in the teeth of tragedy and adversity.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One more year & you'll be an official "prolonged remission".
The ADA would also recommend the c word.
Rc4dfb3f3b604e9d3a81f2fa2d74e7ccc

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachox, that is so well done! Thank you for posting. Your posts as well as those of other active members is what’s pushing me to improve my health with diet and hard work, too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations you are shining example of how to manage a diagnosis and keep going through thick and thin.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One more year & you'll be an official "prolonged remission".
The ADA would also recommend the c word.
Rc4dfb3f3b604e9d3a81f2fa2d74e7ccc
Surprised to see ADA info in UK units. (mmol/mol, mmol,l and mm Hg) Not sure what IDF is, but most of us low carbers will probably fail to meet the TC value. (International Diabetes Federation?)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done, @Rachox -- especially for sticking with it during tough times. Really inspirational. Also congrats for being reelected as moderator.

Reactions: Bluetit1802