Type 2 Tomorrow

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I’m off to proms in the park tomorrow. I’m taking all my own food.

I’m planning on a wrap. It’s a bread sub and very very low carb. Or I’m using lo dough. But how do people keep wraps wrapped., mine disintergrate and are so messy.
I’m thinking of cheese and salad. Maybe some sausage.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’m planning on a wrap. It’s a bread sub and very very low carb. Or I’m using lo dough. But how do people keep wraps wrapped., mine disintergrate and are so messy.
Cling film.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I find foil is the best for wraps, keeps it all tucked in no worries :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You could just take the cheese and salad in a tupperware tub and forget the wrap?
Just an idea..

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You could just take the cheese and salad in a tupperware tub and forget the wrap?
Just an idea..

It’s not a bread wrap, it’s exceptionally low carb. I don’t want to put myself in a situation where I get tempted.
I’m going to take a box of salad as well. But if everyone is having nice food I don’t want to feel different. This way I’m making an effort to eat and enjoy it and not put myself in a situation where I might eat something totally stupid

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never tried LoDo, and haven't eaten bread or bread substitutes for a very long time now.

In your shoes, were I doing a wrap, I might wrap in a couple of sliceds of ham, then wrap it in foil. In this house, we very, very rarely use clingfilm.

I think your comment, "....But if everyone is having nice food I don’t want to feel different....." is suggesting to me teither hat you don't feel your wrap is nice food, or that your friends will be taking sarnies and you want to "join in".

To be honest, I might be trying to deal with the uderlying question.

In your shoes, I'd be thinking about the nicest low carb picnic options I could get in time, and afford.

At the moment, my local Lidl have in frozen lobster. I'd be inclined to think about lobster, with a salad, and maybe make the salad a bit more special by adding in some salad veg/elements I might not usually deal with. If lobster (say) isn't you thing, then, again, Lidl, have single portion fritatta - in a bout 3 options.

I quite often find if I'm doing the salad when others are doing sarnies, they might comment mine looks so much better than just a sarnie.

I know I'm a few more years down the line that you are, but near the outset of my journey I gave myself a good talking to that "this is the new normal". It's not an instant thing, but if my condition or preferences don't fit in with others, then I plough my own furrow and get on with what I need to do.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I've never tried LoDo, and haven't eaten bread or bread substitutes for a very long time now.

In your shoes, were I doing a wrap, I might wrap in a couple of sliceds of ham, then wrap it in foil. In this house, we very, very rarely use clingfilm.

I think your comment, "....But if everyone is having nice food I don’t want to feel different....." is suggesting to me teither hat you don't feel your wrap is nice food, or that your friends will be taking sarnies and you want to "join in".

To be honest, I might be trying to deal with the uderlying question.

In your shoes, I'd be thinking about the nicest low carb picnic options I could get in time, and afford.

At the moment, my local Lidl have in frozen lobster. I'd be inclined to think about lobster, with a salad, and maybe make the salad a bit more special by adding in some salad veg/elements I might not usually deal with. If lobster (say) isn't you thing, then, again, Lidl, have single portion fritatta - in a bout 3 options.

I quite often find if I'm doing the salad when others are doing sarnies, they might comment mine looks so much better than just a sarnie.

I know I'm a few more years down the line that you are, but near the outset of my journey I gave myself a good talking to that "this is the new normal". It's not an instant thing, but if my condition or preferences don't fit in with others, then I plough my own furrow and get on with what I need to do.

I mean that I don’t want to just sit there with some sliced sausage and a chicken thigh. That’s my usual and it does the job for work.
But I want something a bit different.
I don’t want a sarnie. I’m liking the lack of swings and feeling better(well apart from feeling lousy at the mo).
I’ve bought lots of things I can snack on like cheese etc.

I don’t want to have a moment if temptation because I know I have zero will power. So I’m doing my best to do foods I used to have but very or no carb versions of that makes sense. Then I reduce any incidents of weakness.

So that’s what I’ve done. I’ve bought loads of low carb stuff.

I can take my sausages and mattessons, I’ve got tuna tubs, salad and cheese. Probably taking too much but don’t want to risk getting hungry and again getting weak

M

Member496333

I don’t want to have a moment if temptation because I know I have zero will power.

It's none of my business of course but, respectfully, I think you're probably making things worse for yourself by trying to emulate the foods that you know you can't have. Many find that going commando and completely eliminating 'alternatives' is the only way to break the cycle that you appear to be stuck in.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It's none of my business of course but, respectfully, I think you're probably making things worse for yourself by trying to emulate the foods that you know you can't have. Many find that going commando and completely eliminating 'alternatives' is the only way to break the cycle that you appear to be stuck in.

True. The rest of the time it’s fine. Can’t remember last tome I had one of the subs.

Just tomorrow. I don’t want my will power to weaken. So I’m preparing for all eventualities.

Even making my own cheesy burgers as the ones in the shop were too high at 3g.

I want to have as many varied things as possible to prevent me getting bored, feeling sorry for myself etc. When I’m home doesn’t bother me. But too much temptation there and I know that’s my weakness.

Otherwise yes, I have eliminated substitutes. Not even eating the carb killas anymore.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got a waffle maker doo dad, to make egg and cheese waffles - still a novelty so don't know how well they travel - but you might like to experiment. The waffle makers are cheap enough - the basic recipe is dead simple but cheese waffles 'chaffles' are many and various, both sweet and savoury options.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I just got a waffle maker doo dad, to make egg and cheese waffles - still a novelty so don't know how well they travel - but you might like to experiment. The waffle makers are cheap enough - the basic recipe is dead simple but cheese waffles 'chaffles' are many and various, both sweet and savoury options.

I do like the sound of those. Even if not fir going out they would make a lunch at home

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

Is it any old waffle maker? There isn’t a special one.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to the 'non standard' ingredients I believe that one with a temperature control is recommended, and using a timer too, but that night just be for perfectionists. The actual brand or shape is not important - though the ones I have seen have all made the ones I think of as gratings, with the square depressions, rather than the more doughnut or egg shaped multiple makers.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Due to the 'non standard' ingredients I believe that one with a temperature control is recommended, and using a timer too, but that night just be for perfectionists. The actual brand or shape is not important - though the ones I have seen have all made the ones I think of as gratings, with the square depressions, rather than the more doughnut or egg shaped multiple makers.

I can find temp control but none with timer. They might just be amazon though.
The round ones look quite nice. They do a square as well.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure there are waffle makers with integral timers I just use the one I have in the kitchen for general purpose - I used to do testing for Allied Lyons, and although I don't still have a labcoat, I still have the attitude.

Reactions: woollygal

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think having plenty of food is a great idea- you may find your friends like the look of your and you can share. I have smoked salmon in my salad as that was always a treat for me. You could bring along some boiled eggs as they are quite filling. Some really nice cheddar cheese always goes down well. You could try some sugar free jelly- just a thought.

Have a fun day!

Reactions: Serena51