Took morning Gliclazide, no food, BG level up?

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So many questions! Just when I think I understand . . .

Morning reading for last couple of weeks has been between 5.5 and 7.5
Took a reading at 0730 - 6.2
Had my 40mg gliclazide and 4mg perindropil at the same time.

Usually have breakfast about half an later but got sidetracked and didn't have food until 0930.
Took a reading at 0930 - 8.2.
I assumed that having taking the meds and having nothing to eat that the levels would drop? In fact it's something I've been particular about as I'm not particularily keen on breakfast but have been having it since diagnosed.

Have I missed something here?

John

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's possible that the morning liver glycogen dump may have increased your blood sugar? I would tend to measure 2 hours after a main meal and see what happens. Note the gliclazide will only have a real effect if your natural insulin production isn't too bad. If you have lost a lot of your islet cells, then the glic won't have much effect as it stimulates working cells to produce more. It doesn't help me that much probably for that reason. What age are you? If glic doesn't have much effect then discuss other options with your GP such as increasing the dose or adding Sitagliptin. If you are young and not overweight there is always a possibility of late onset Type 1 (LADA) rather than Type 2. I also note you aren't on metformin which most T2s would be prescribed. Is that because you present as underweight?

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Daibell,
Thanks for that. Had an appointment with the nurse this morning. She reckoned it was a bad reading as I was at 5.6 when she tested at 1200 - looked at my levels for the past week - wasn't happy that so many were in the low 4s and a few 3.8 & 3.9. I also told her that I feel sometimes that I'm eating to balance out the glicalzide dose.

End result was to stay as I am for a week and if levels continue as they are and kidney function is OK then she'll replace my evening gliclazide with metformin and perhaps come of glicalazide altogether. She was impressed the difference low carb diet was making. (So am I!).

Male 54, 6' 15st. When I was fit I was always between 13st and 14st so probably a bit overweight. Despite low carbs, I've put on a 4 - 5 pounds since starting the gliclazide.

Cheers, John