1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Touring Australia for 12 months

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by JWomo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JWomo

JWomo Type 1 · Newbie

Hi all, I'm going touring around Australia for 12 months in July can anyone recommend how I go on regarding obtaining Insulin etc

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

3. JWomo

JWomo Type 1 · Newbie

Many thanks I'm doing that and also seeking experiences .....

4. bluntneedle

bluntneedle Type 1 · Member

Hi ,
    done that.

I took all my Insulin with me and of course a letter from my Doctor just in case it all got stolen. If your Touring ? and that means in a car, you will need one of those Car fridges. The Insulin must be kept cool. You will also need a Coolpack Wallet for your daily use. It can reach up to 48°c and thats in the shade. I cooked my breakfast eggs on a stone while I was there. Also you will need a spare Test machine, they can play up when it's hot. The test strips have to be really sealed. I was suddenly getting Low readings in Queensland where it is very humid. I ate three Mars bars after each other and I was still Low. Yes something was wrong. I went into a chemist and they kindly tested my bood. The only time I was that High was when I was diagnosed. Anyway it was the test strips. It was expensive to pay the whole price for new strips. So beware! Hope that helps a bit if you need more info just ask.

5. JWomo

JWomo Type 1 · Newbie

Many thanks some great suggestions

6. type1derluster

type1derluster Type 1 · Newbie

Hello guys.. can you share your experience while exploring Australia for 1 year here?

Would love to know any experience related to type 1 diabetes in Australia

Thanks

7. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're from the UK you should be able to get a medicare card, which covers you for essential medical care and prescription medicines. You'll need to pay a small fee to get a prescription filled and may also need to pay a fee to the GP (some "bulk bill" and don't charge patients, others in busy areas charge a top up fee for their services). If you're eligible to join NDSS (not 100% sure about this) then you can get highly subsidised testing strips, needles, etc.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/rhca-medical-care-visitors-australia

https://www.ndss.com.au/

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook