Travel and Diabetes

Twitterology

Denise

It should probably be OK. You should also be able to buy an equivalent of this in stores such as Whole foods or Trader Joes - the high end supermarkets.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, where do actually get your travel pass / letter from ? to explain you are an insulin etc user and have to carry it plus other meds in your handluggage plus sharps / bin etc... What should the letter actually say n who should it be addressed to ? Thanks, Anna.x :)

Twitterology

The easiest two sources (this should be straightforward) are your GP or Diabetes Centre. The letter is usually in the form of "To Whom It May Concern". It should say who you are, that you have diabetes, that you need to perform blood glucose monitoring, insulin injections etc each day and that you need to have lancets, needles ect with you at all times. For pump and sensor users this should be spelt out in detail including guidance not to remove the technology.

I could post draft examples on my VoyageMD website if there is sufficiemt interest?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Twitterology said:
Would there be interest in a blood glucose monitoring system that alerts family and relatives if their loved ones levels become too high or too low whilst on holiday or overseas on business? I am trying to gauge interest in working with technology companies to create this?

I am struggling with the benefits of this specific concept.

Say you are in Birmingham (UK) and your loved one is in Birmingham, Alabama (somewhere around there anyway, you think, although they weren't sure last time you spoke to them where they would be for the next day or so).
Assume that the alert technology is based around mobile phone technology (the one most likely to have immediate global reach).
In the middle of the (UK) night you receive a mobile phone text stating that your loved one is having a hypo.
What the hell are you supposed to do about it?

If you do have alert technology it is far more likely to be useful when your loved one is fairly close to you so you can get to them or direct the emergency services to them.

With mobile phone technology an approximate fix is possible using triangulation between towers.
GPS technology is also now mature - you get mobile phones with GPS (cameras also).
So a device could be easily developed which can generate an alert over the mobile network and give a precise location for the person who is in difficulties.
The critical issue is where that alert should go.

If the person is close to you then you can act on it.

If the person is far from you then telling you is useless.
A 911 (or 999 or 112 depending on country) call with a recorded message might be an option.
Apart from that you would have to develop a new infrastructure to receive and act on these emergency messages.

You would also have to prevent false alarms.
If there is an emergency monitoring device attached to a diabetic then the first level of defence is to alert the diabetic so that the problem can be rectified by the usual means.
If they are in trouble because they don't have the appropriate supplies then they can phone for help.
In both these cases they would reset the alarm to avoid an emergency automated call.
If they can't phone for help because they are outside the mobile phone coverage area then the automatic device won't work either.
Only if they are helpless or unconcious and within mobile phone coverage is there a case for an automated summons for help.

Bottom line, do you have any figures for the number of T1s who had a diabetic emergency where the outcome would have been better if they had been wearing an automated warning device with remote messaging capability?

Unless there is a significant number of cases then I don't think people will want to pay extra for something they don't expect to use.

Please understand that I am not knocking the basic concept of an emergency remote warning system tied to a continuous glucose monitor. This may have possibilities.

The thing I don't see as appropriate is the concept of notifying someone about an emergency when the person having the emergency (and needing immediate local help) is in a different country (holiday or business is largely irrelevant).

HTH

LGC

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Twitterology wrote:Would there be interest in a blood glucose monitoring system that alerts family and relatives if their loved ones levels become too high or too low whilst on holiday or overseas on business? I am trying to gauge interest in working with technology companies to create this?

I have something like that around my neck 24/7 However
when i hit the red button It calls Emg call center ,1st will try and talk to me via the speaker phone find out whats up,, and who to call to help me ,Care firm, Doctor ,Fire ,Police, Ambulance
Or if it was a Just false alarm . It can detect if i fall

If no answer from Me Operator will call Ambulance also my wife
Emergency services will be given medical history , key safe number to save the front door from being
hammered in :mrgreen:

Same as LGC what you going to do for false alarms ??
is it Really any help informing family thousands miles away
That you having an emergency and can do nothing to help ?

If its a Real hypo You would need the local emergency services . Not your MUM

Twitterology

Thanks for the thoughts on the travel alert system. Obviously there are pros and cons. I will let you all know if this moves forward.

Meanwhile on my VoyageMD site I have been getting more responses from airlines and travel companies about what they provide for travellers with diabetes. One well known UK travel firm provides the info under the heading "Disabled" another "For travellers with disabilities" and one airline linked me to info about wheelchairs...! I am naming names.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Twitterology said:
Would there be interest in a blood glucose monitoring system that alerts family and relatives if their loved ones levels become too high or too low whilst on holiday or overseas on business? I am trying to gauge interest in working with technology companies to create this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-turn-bizarre-ideas-consumers-spend-more.html

Mobile phone companies are turning to a string of bizarre ideas to persuade customers to spend more money on their networks......

So there is hope :)

Twitterology

90 years ago today (July 27th) insulin was discovered and every day this continues to be a life saving treatment.

Disappointing therefore that some airlines still do not understand insulin. Here is a response from Virgin Atlantic to a question from a traveller using an insulin pump. The basic question was about using the pump on board a flight:

This is a recent response from Virgin Atlantic about travelling with an insulin pump!

“Thank you for your email regarding the use of personal medical equipment on-board.

Virgin Atlantic Airways can only permit the use of battery powered medical equipment on-board, any equipment that you wish to use must be cleared for use in-flight by our engineering team.
In order for the team to evaluate the equipment and issue a clearance we will require the following details:

Make/Manufacturer of the unit
Model Number
Serial Number

I hope the above information is of use to you and should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Many Thanks and Kindest Regards,
VAA Special Assistance Dept UK
Virgin Atlantic Airways Ltd”

Still work to do methinks!!!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Virgin Atlantic Airways can only permit the use of battery powered medical equipment on-board,
well aren't pumps battery powered?
The first time I flew with a pump was on a Ryan Air flight, not known for it's sympathy to the the public. When they said you had to switch devises off for take off I spoke to the steward. He came back with a 'no problem'.. and great attentiveness for the rest of the flight.
TBH I've since flown with Flybe and Virgin and have had no problems.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Why make a problem? Leave it switched on and don't tell.

Bet you a fiver it won't make the plane crash.

Twitterology

I need feedback on how people deal with crossing time zones. What do people who take twice daily pre-mixed insulin do when they travel long-haul? Also if you are on Byetta or Victoza how do you cope with the time differences?

Twitterology

Latest travelling with diabetes news hot off the press is a research study from Australia suggesting that insulin pumps may be affected by take off and landing. I have posted the details on my VoyageMD.com site but in summary this is probably less of an issue than this small study suggests. I would like to hear however if anyone has noticed difficulties flying with a pump.

mrsmousemat

I flew by Thomsons to Majorca this summer.

I paid for a diabetic meal - so was interested to see what would be provided.

On the way out I was given a vegetarian meal lre-labelled DB), with water instead of orange juice and a nice large sachet of sugar to go with my tea.

On the way back - I had become mysteriously Jewish (no pork - relabelled DB).
And another large sachet of sugar.

As for the food within...it's a pity they don't provide spitoons on board.

ianjohnson

I travel quite a bit for work and I rarely do well with BG levels while away. I seem to stay in pretty good control while in my normal routine but when I travel I wind up eating poorly, not sleeping well and have inflated numbers. I know much of this is my own fault as I could plan ahead but I just don’t and so I suffer the consequences. Maybe I need a new job

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have just added a topic called jet lag and colds - maybe should have added to this topic - I also am quite shocked at being offered pizza as part of my diabetic meal! More recently, there was no special breakfast - I was given orange juice, flavoured and sweetened yoghurt and a Danish pastry with jam on. I had a quiet word with flight attendants and one said that is full if sugar, for the second time I was offered a coeliac meal, this at least had fresh fruit - it seems they just do not trouble to understand diabetic food although I cannot blame the flight attendants who were sympathetic and tried to help. I think we need to organise a mass campaign to educate airlines and hotels in dietary requirements for diabetics. On the plus side it is good they seem to have some kind of understanding of coeliac requirements as my two small grandchildren both have this disease, but many restaurants as well do not really understand gluten free as well as wheat free.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Twitterology

On our new look free resource for travel and diabetes we have also added regular updates on changes to the NHS in our opinion section as well as a close look at how the travel insurance industry should be asking better questions hopefully leading to reduced premiums for the vast majority of people living with diabetes.

http://www.voyagemd.com/

Twitterology

I have recently rechecked the questions asked by travel insurance companies to assess the cost of premiums for people with diabetes. They are still not asking the right questions and the result is that the variation in cost is enormous. Isn't it time to ask the companies to think about more appropriate questions - who knows it might actually mean lower costs for travel insurance?

http://www.voyagemd.com/travel-insuranc ... ia-stupid/