traveling

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey guys just looking for a bit of advice. im going on a day trip to london next month and went to my gp to get a letter for taking insulin on the plane.. i was told only need to take a copy of my current prescription .. is this correct? also can take a copy of my delivery note for my pump supplies?
thanks all :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @novowolf

I've travelled on a few different airlines and have never been asked for my GP's letter - many will advise to take it as a precaution, but I personally don't do this anymore, travel with your prescription if you wish but I don't think it's necessary to take your delivery note for your pump supplies. The pump should stay on you at all times, so don't put it through the x-ray machine, have heard it can damage it. Just ensure you take plenty of spares and enjoy your trip ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the past 47 yrs I've never been asked to present my doctors note when travelling :)

susyross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who don't make the effort to be healthy
Depending on the airport it is good to have a letter stating that your pump should not be removed or put through the X-Ray machine. I have travelled a lot with a pump and two monitors.. One place (Amsterdam) I missed my connecting flight because I refused to dismantle... wait for it - my blood tester... I ended up testing my blood in front of them to prove it was not a hidden explosive device - There is a TSA card you can download for USA security it doesn't excuse you but it allows you to make them aware that you need special screening as opposed to electronic screening. Insulin was never a problem, but they don't like electronics. I rarely needed the letter but always had it just in case - also depending on where you are travelling... have a translation in the language of the country - don't just assume they speak English