1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Travelling abroad

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by myarnton1, Mar 5, 2018.

1. myarnton1

myarnton1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!
    I’m going to Turkey in April and I’ve never been abroad before. I’ve got myself and a 14 month old to worry about so needless to say I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed:joyful:. I’m type 1 and on a pump. If there are any tips anyone could share with me about travelling abroad then it would be greatly appreciated! Xx

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @myarnton1 Travelling tips are take 3x times more than what you need in regards to pump supplies, also take a back up basal and a novorapid pen. You will have to remove your pump for airport security so hand to a guard as you go through security. Invest in a frio pack to keep insulin cool, or check to see if your room has a fridge. Just be careful in the heat as I find I need less insulin so think about setting up a temp basal pattern on your pump for your hols. Take lots of glucose, sun screen and have a great holiday :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

Great advice form @Juicyj
    I would add
    - make sure you keep all your diabetes supplies in your hand luggage
    - have a note from your doctor
    - take a backup option for your pump. Some pump suppliers offer loaner pumps for travel. Alternatively, take insulin pens
    - make sure your travel insurance covers your diabetes
    - take extra lancets and test strips as well as pump supplies
    - do not allow your pump to be x-rayed in airport security. They all seem to understand this so just point out your pump and they will understand.
    - many of us travel regularly with no problems
    - have a fantastic time

• Like Like x 1
  4. myarnton1

That’s great advice thank you so much both!
    @helensaramay do you know how I would find out if they offer a loaner pump. Should I phone up Medtronic (my pump supplier)
    This is so helpful, thanks!x

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I have an Animas pump and contact them directly for all supplies including a loaner pump.
    So, I would start by calling Medtronic directly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Redvee

Redvee Type 1 · Member

Buy Lucozade once airside of security, you won't be able to take enough through and very unlikely to be able to buy it in Turkey. I've been to Barcelona in September for the few years so the heat hasn't been as strong as in summer but still warm enough for the need for a FRIO pouch.
    I've always done cabin baggage with Easyjet and been at the departure gate early enough to avoid being asked to put my bag in the hold. I've got a Doctor's letter in my passport but haven't needed to resort to it yet regarding baggage going in hold.

• Like Like x 1
  7. myarnton1

Hi @Redvee, I use regular coke to bring blood sugars up I find it brings me up quicker because of the sugar cut in lucozade. It’s an all inclusive holiday so I’m assuming they will have regular coke on tap. I’m definitely going to invest in a FRIO pouch and I have also got confirmation that I can have a loaner pump :D thanks for the info x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook