Travelling and basal insulin adjustment

nikobasi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello guys, i am planning two trips: the first one is in Athens 500 kilometres away from my home(same timezone with my home) and Amsterdam(-1 hour different from my home timezone) and i am injecting daily lantus(24 hour basal insulin once per day) and novorapid(bolus) every time i eat.

Should i reduce lantus dosage during my trips to avoid hypos ?
Also when i will travel to Amsterdam which time should i inject my basal lantus insulin? I inject my insulin at 23:20 in my timezone(Greece). When i will arrive should i inject at 22:20 Amsterdam zone(23:20 Greek Timezone)? Do i need to reduce basal lantus dosage cause of timezones?
Thanks guys

D

Deleted Account

I travel a lot within the same time zone and within 2 hours difference.
With such little time difference, I would make no adjustments to my basal dose or timing.
The only time I make adjustments (to timing only) would be if I am changing time zone by more than 3 hours,
As Lantus does not last exactly 24 hours (it varies for different people) and the dose is spread over that time, I always find it ok to change the time of my basal injection by two hours either way without risk of hypo.
When travelling, i would advise extra testing and corrections if necessary. If you are not used to travel, it is more likely for your BG to rise through stress rather than fall and lead to hypo. However, it is always advised to keep your hypo treatment close at hand.

Reactions: nikobasi

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @nikobasi , the lantus dosing info says there's about 2 hours leeway on dosing timing, so I wouldn't bother changing the timing, stick to what suits you.

I normally do my lantus shot about 9pm during the week, but I usually pop out for a few beers on Friday and Saturdays, don't get home till about 11pm or midnight/1am, and taking the shot then doesn't make that much difference.

As to whether to reduce the basal amount, hmm, depends on what sort of holiday it's going to be. I'd probably be looking at it from a bolus point of view and adjusting that, but I suppose if you're reckoning on walking about a lot seeing the tourist sites, glut4 will kick in due to the exercise, and most holidays involve a bit of trying local beers, which can drop through the liver getting tied up with processing the alcohol, so there's maybe an argument for tailing back the basal by a few units to be on the safe side.

Enjoy the hols!

Reactions: nikobasi