Travelling to New Zealand

jamielowe

Hi all,

I am looking at applying for a working holiday visa next year for NZ but before doing so I’d like to understand a little bit more about the costs involved and just generally how people have managed if they have done any kind of backpacking with diabetes. I'm a seasoned traveller so no worries in that department, but I did most of my travelling before I was diagnosed with diabetes, so naturally things are a little different this time around! I was on the understanding that I need to pay for medication out there, but there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK, meaning that the cost is subsidised. I've emailed the NZ Diabetes association but thought it would be worth posting my questions here as well to see if anyone can offer some insight :)

My medication requirements are currently as follows:
  • Fast Acting Insulin is Novarapid
  • Background Insulin is called Lantus Glargine
  • I use 4mm disposable needles
  • I use a Roche AccuChek Aviva Expert meter at the moment, with matching blood testing strips

Some questions around this which I am hoping you are able to help with…
  • Can I get the above insulin in New Zealand? If not, where do find information on a suitable replacement?
  • If I was to take a UK prescription with me to obtain my initial supplies, will this be accepted? Or do I need to see a doctor in New Zealand first? I will obviously bring with me as much as possible - I believe the NHS max is 3 months from reading other posts but I've never tried to get that much in one go.
  • How do I get repeat prescriptions in New Zealand? What are the costs of the above medication on one prescription? Is it per item? or per script?

Thanks in advance!
Jamie

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I lived in NZ for 5 years but wasn't diabetic at the time.
'The standard cost to visit a GP is around NZ$45-55, depending on the doctor. There is no additional charge for a visit to a GP for people from other countries.'
You can't use the UK prescription in NZ. You will need to see a doctor in NZ first.
'Medication costs the same amount throughout New Zealand. If you are a resident in New Zealand you will pay $5.00 for each prescription item. The charge for a non-resident (unless for an emergency supply and coming from a reciprocal country like Australia and the UK) will be NSS, or Not Subsidised and the full cost of the medicine will apply.'
https://www.diabetes.org.nz/travelling-to-new-zealand
Insulin list:
https://www.healthnavigator.org.nz/medicines/i/insulin/

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Be aware that NZ only has two blood testing meters that diabetics can choose to get prescriptions for. They are two varieties of caresens (one can take strips for ketones as well). If you're not bothered about ketones you might as well go for the caresens npop. You won't be able to buy other strips from chemists in NZ, so you'd have to import them. It's a pretty basic meter but the strips are fairly cheap (roughly NZ$20 for 50 if you buy online, slightly more from a chemist). If you shop around (trademe is the NZ equivalent of ebay) you can get down to about NZ$13 for 50).

The exception is the Abbott freestyle optium neo - you can buy these strips (they are the ones that fit in the libre meter).
https://www.mediray.co.nz/diabetes/...e-optium-neo-glucose-test-strips-ms-99884-80/

You'll probably have to order online, though I imagine that a chemist could get them in for you at a premium.

Note that the freestyle libre is available from mediray, but you'll need to order online and it's not cheap. (Roughly NZ$100 for the meter and NZ$100 per sensor.) I believe the UK reader won't work in NZ.

Our local GPs won't see visitors not on their lists - they make you go to the hospital emergency out of hours clinic. (Though this may differ in other parts of NZ). But the hospital clinic is about NZ$50 for a visit and you can get a script there. I'm on lantus so it's definitely available, (not very relevant, but many well known T2 drugs are not available in NZ). Dr google suggests novorapid is too.

Insulin prices (I just phoned my local chemist - take a deep breath)
lantus 3ml cartridges $200 for 5
novorapid 3ml cartridges $110 for 5
You may want to do your own research to double check that....!!!!

Also double check to see if you can get a visa which will cover you for scripts (NZ is pretty generous to immigrants) because those prices are mouth watering.

Good luck!