Travelling

90danc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I will be going on my first flight as a Type 1 Diabetic next week, even though I've been Type 1 since the age of 12, now 26, the only times I have been over seas was on a ferry. I've spoken with the airline (Ryan Air) and doctors, and I think I have everything in place for a smooth check in. However, I am still a little apprehensive about passing through security, and wondered if anyone had any experiences, hint or tips to share.

Thanks in advance :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just make sure you don't check your diabetes gear, carry that on of course. Nothing ever happened to me flying places. I went through a body scanner with a Tootsie Roll Pop in my pocket. I show it to the dude after I pulled it out of my pocket and he wanted to show it to his supervisor and see if he had to test it for explosives. I think I put it in my mouth and left!

Reactions: Dodo and Sibyl

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only tip is to not worry about it! Security staff have thousands of T1s going through each day, they're well used to seeing kit, and they won't bat an eyelid.

Get a letter from your doctor or DSN confirming you're insulin dependent diabetic, put that and your insulin in a see through plastic pouch, the sort you pick up at airports for getting liquids through security, put those in the security tray along with your belt, mobile phone, etc. to go through the x-ray machine, walk through the scanner, pick the stuff up on the other side and then hang around air-side for several hours while Ryan Air come up with all sorts of excuses why the plane will be delayed!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have flown once a year since diagnosis and despite getting a doctors letter I have never been asked for it, now I fly with a pump so hand it over to be inspected so it doesn't go through X-Ray and walk straight through, no issues, they see a lot of us, just take insulin and bits as hand luggage and have a great time ;)

Reactions: Sibyl

raun01

Hi @90danc

There is noting to worry about, put the diabetics gear in your hand carry and some prove of your medical history in case they suspect your insulin.

Have a happy journey :)

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering, do all my medical supplies need to fit into my existing cabin baggage allowance or are you generally permitted to take an extra bag(obviously smaller) specifically for pens/needles/sharps box etc? Never usually travel with huge cabin bag anyway, it's normally a rucksack. But if it all has to fit in one I might have to change that.

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been pulled up once and they were very nice about it. My frio bag of insulin pens was in the outer pocket of my carry on and looked suspicious on the X-ray machine. The security guard showed me on his screen. He laughed when I took it out and just advised me that to put it out in the tray in future.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When i went, i had a letter from my DSN and there was no issues. I put left my insulin and needles in the bag and it didn't set the machine off. With my meter i just gave it over to the security person with my travel letter for them to hand check it.

Reactions: Dodo

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a couple of problems in the past:
1) where do I put my insulin and testing supplies when on the plane? If you choose to have an in-flight meal, it can be a pain to have to get your stuff out of your hand luggage which has been stowed away on the shelf above your head, and sometimes cabin staff have even to move your bag a bit further away, just to get everyone's baggage stowed. I have tried to have a separate bag near my feet, but cabin staff don't allow that. I have to make sure that my hand luggage is roomy enough to hold my insulin kit, and then I have to check that I know exactly where it is on the luggage rack.
2) Once, my flight was delayed when I was already air-side. I was expecting to eat on the plane, but we didn't board. We were delayed at least an hour in a big room where there were no food supplies of any kind. I was starting to go hypo. A good reminder that Type 1s always have to be self-sufficient and have enough glucose tablets in their hand luggage.
3) I have never had any problems checking my insulin kit through security. I usually set off their alarms, but it's nothing to do with diabetes, it's a bracelet that I cannot remove because it's now too small to go over my hand!

My advice: don't try to have a separate bag for your insulin kit. Make sure you can get to your kit and to your glucose tablets at all times.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin should never go in the hold, always have it in your carry on cabin bag. Also take twice as much as you think you need and if travelling with someone else split it evenly between cabin bags, at least one pen and both types of insulin and needles in each bag - just in case.

I've never had a problem going through security - even been through the body scanner wearing a Libre and not been questioned about it.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering, do all my medical supplies need to fit into my existing cabin baggage allowance or are you generally permitted to take an extra bag(obviously smaller) specifically for pens/needles/sharps box etc? Never usually travel with huge cabin bag anyway, it's normally a rucksack. But if it all has to fit in one I might have to change that.
Your medical equipment can travel in a small extra bag which doesn't incur cost. Also get an insulin passport from your pharmacy or GP in case you need to replace your insulin. I strongly advise that as last week in Spain my "pen" stopped working and found myself having to buy five which cost me 50 euros .....

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 16 flights scheduled in the month of April and potentially another 6-8 on top of that. Note: I'm in the USA and fly mostly domestic so things are a bit different, but most of this should apply to you as well.

You asked some very good questions, and some that I haven't seen people ask on here before:

1.) Carry on bag rules- it varies from airline to airline. I checked on Ryanair for you and their policy is apparently one larger bag up to: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, and one smaller bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms.

2.) HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it will still fit in the overhead compartment. I often fly regional jets which have a much smaller overhead space. Many people will have their larger bags "Gate checked" which means they're unable to access that bag for the entire flight. You obviously don't want your insulin to be in there if that happens.

3.) Pack your insulin and other items you need to keep with you in a smaller bag. I usually fly for business and put my insulin in my briefcase, but I've traveled with a smaller duffle/tote bag as well.

4.) I have yet to have an issue with security. As others mentioned, they deal with diabetics everyday and are used to it. Occasionally, they may need to perform extra screening but it rarely takes more than 1-2 minutes.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will be going on my first flight as a Type 1 Diabetic next week, even though I've been Type 1 since the age of 12, now 26, the only times I have been over seas was on a ferry. I've spoken with the airline (Ryan Air) and doctors, and I think I have everything in place for a smooth check in. However, I am still a little apprehensive about passing through security, and wondered if anyone had any experiences, hint or tips to share.

Thanks in advance :)

Take twice as much of everything as you think you'll need; keep all your insulin and diabetes kit with you in your hand luggage; take a letter from your doctor/consultant saying you're diabetic and carrying sharps and insulin; show this when you check in so they know you're carrying sharps; show it again at security and point out your diabetic stuff, with your insulin in a clear plastic liquids bag.

I've flown a number of times to various countries and all's been fine :)

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You are only complicating matters by citing American airlines. The original poster is flying via Ryanair and I know from personal experience their requirements! He will be fine with a small additional bag for his medication which he should keep with him. It doesn't impact upon the normal personal baggage allowance. - https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/usefu...-is-a-medical-equipment-baggage-waiver-letter I note though it has changed slightly.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Easyjet last week asked to see my letter and as I was opening it, they said it was okay! zzz!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are only complicating matters by citing American airlines. The original poster is flying via Ryanair and I know from personal experience their requirements! He will be fine with a small additional bag for his medication which he should keep with him. It doesn't impact upon the normal personal baggage allowance. - https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/usefu...-is-a-medical-equipment-baggage-waiver-letter I note though it has changed slightly.
I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I specifically referenced Ryan air's carry-on bag dimensions. If you noticed, the figures I posted were in cm (we use inches in the US).

90danc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the replies. I've been told by the airline and doctors I just need to take my prescription and don't need a specific letter. Also, what to people do about bringing used sharps back through?

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken a mini sized sharps bin from amazon previously but last time I forgot so they just went in my hand luggage back from Lisbon no probs.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it odd that Ryanair said no letter ..... my prescription is always electronic ..... As for the sharps, well just put them in a wee box and bring them back with you.