Treadmills and exercise bikes

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you thought about a Rowing Machine as a option. I have been using one for the past two years. Rowing is mix of Resisstants training and cardio and you are working the legs , back and upper body. Has been said previously you could go to a local local gym on a free taster session and tryout exercise Bikes , Treadmills and Rowing Machines to see what suits you.

Last edited:

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am looking to buy a refurbished Kaiser M3 spinbike - they have proved to be the best rehab for my lack-of-cartilage knees and give me a good work out. If I win the lottery I will probably also look at the Woodway curve treadmills for home use. Think hamster-wheel (and now I understand why my furry little critter used to bite me if ever he came off his!)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking towards winter and the prospect that there will be evenings when I can't complete my walk.

I thought it might be an idea to invest in a treadmill and/ or exercise bike. However, I can't afford to pay hundreds of pounds. I wondered about checking eBay and the like but I don't know which models are value for money. They don't have to be all singing and dancing, but sturdy. I'm 14st 9lb now so I think I'm within the weight limit of most models.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
At one time I was tempted to buy a treadmill, but a trainer at my gym whose judgment I trusted warned me that they are high maintenance. You have to clean regularly UNDER the belt, as otherwise dirt damages it. You also have to consider very carefully the advertised speed/power. Having one that won't go fast enough to stretch you could be frustrating. By contrast, obviously a bike goes as fast as you can pedal. Treadmills are usually pretty noisy - you may have to consider the neighbours or even other people in your household. These days cross trainers are much more fashionable than exercise bikes. I have got one and it gives me a good workout because I am using my arms as well as my legs. Also, pedalling a bike you are not weight bearing, so it is not so effective for strengthening bones. I also have a Concept2 rowing machine. I find this the ultimate strenuous workout, but sometimes I don't quite feel up to its level! (Though of course one can always row gently.) Anyone rowing would do well to learn proper technique. Concept2 have good guidelines for this. Beware - EVERYONE at the gum, including the trainers, is rowing all wrong.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alexandra100. Nice to hear from a " rower " .
Ultimate workouts on rowing machines. They'll always be rowers available in every gym in the country.
They get avoided like the plague by most and as you rightly say are usually used incorrectly.
Lost track of how many times I've told people they don't have the damper on level 10.

Reactions: Nickglanf