Tresiba help

Stixxs512

Does anyone know if tresiba is better taken at night or in the morning. My 9 year old daughter just switched from lantus at night and now she is taking tresiba at the same time .she is spiking in the middle of the night even after increased dosage . She went from 214 at 8pm before bed to 288 at 4am . Shes on 4.5 units and was at 3

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long has she been on 4.5 units? It usually takes a few days for a Tresiba dosage to kick-in (Tresiba kinda relies on two doses of equal strength overlapping as it's got such a long action time).

If her blood sugar has been otherwise stable, you might consider moving it earlier in the day.

Bear in mind, I'm not a Doctor, just someone with years of experience of Tresiba.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since Tresiba is really quite long lasting it can take a good 3 days or so for you to get the full effect of it (and it can take about 3 days to see any changes from dosage changes) so if your daughter has only just changed you may need to wait a couple of days to see its full effects.

I know I was taking mine in the morning but that's cos it was easier for me to remember to do so (with more consistent timing as well).

Reactions: StewM

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Stixxs512

Tresiba has a long flat profile lasting around 36-48 hours so it doesn't matter am/pm which ever is easier for routine and to remember.

Going high during the night - is this a repeated pattern going high ? what's she eating at her evening meal ?