lelebrian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs
Ketones
Hello, I am going back from insulin pump and testing Tresiba as basal.

After few weeks, I have the impression that it lasts a little bit less than 24 hours, giving me some episodes of high values and ketosis close to the time of the daily injection.

Did anyone experience something similar ? Is anyone testing to have Tresiba every 21 hours or such instead of 24 hours ?

Any help appreciated

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @lelebrian Have you done any basal testing to establish if you're on the right Tresiba dose ?

The profile of tresiba is that it lasts approx 36 hours, so it would be worthwhile doing some basal testing first.

lelebrian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs
Ketones
Hello @lelebrian Have you done any basal testing to establish if you're on the right Tresiba dose ?

The profile of tresiba is that it lasts approx 36 hours, so it would be worthwhile doing some basal testing first.

Yes that is what I am testing first. Trying to increase the dose a bit, and will also try to change the time I inject it.

The point is that everything goes perfect from midnight to 8 PM, while I need extra bolus in the other 4 hours.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @lelebrian Ok so when you say bit by bit how often are you adjusting your dose ? It shouldn't make any difference what time you are injecting due to the flat profile so you if you miss your am injection then pm is fine so the fact you are going up from 8pm would indicate this is could be a result of a wrong bolus calculation or could be due to exercise/stress/possible infection ?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that is what I am testing first. Trying to increase the dose a bit, and will also try to change the time I inject it.

The point is that everything goes perfect from midnight to 8 PM, while I need extra bolus in the other 4 hours.
I would (and do) take the basal in the morning. Thereby ensuring being at rest when you come to the tail-end of the 24h period till you take the next basal shot in the morning. This also gives you best opportunity to get bg within perfect range (by bits of carbs or bolus) before you go to bed.

lelebrian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs
Ketones
@Celsus and @Juicyj thank you for your opinions.

What happened yesterday (last case in the serie) is: last very light meal with bolus at 5PM, no excercise, a bit of cold in the previous days. Values good all day and at 7PM are 150 (8,33); values at 9PM are 270 (15) with maximum level ketones in the urine. I inject 3 times the bolus of a meal to get back to normal values in te night. Tresiba at 9PM and values good from midnight to now.

I will check in the next days, then try to switch the time of Tresiba to 9AM and see if it happens in the early morning.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I am going back from insulin pump and testing Tresiba as basal.

After few weeks, I have the impression that it lasts a little bit less than 24 hours, giving me some episodes of high values and ketosis close to the time of the daily injection.

Did anyone experience something similar ? Is anyone testing to have Tresiba every 21 hours or such instead of 24 hours ?

Any help appreciated

I agree with you, in my experience it does not provide consistent coverage for 24 hours regardless of what the literature says. It is always strongest a few hours after injecting it, peaks around 9 hours and then fades out. The time I take it when I've tried absolutely matters.

Reactions: lelebrian

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found tresiba to last longer than 24 hours. I'm on a trial and on testing days can't take any insulin after 10pm. My basal is always around 7am so that used to cause a spike when I was on lantus. I was 5 hours late with tresiba and had a pretty flat profile (I also can't eat from 10pm on test days so it's a good opportunity to see how it does).

I did have to play with dosages when I moved onto it. Nurse said to allow 10 days on each dose then assess.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I would (and do) take the basal in the morning. Thereby ensuring being at rest when you come to the tail-end of the 24h period till you take the next basal shot in the morning. This also gives you best opportunity to get bg within perfect range (by bits of carbs or bolus) before you go to bed.
Same! Works really well.