Trial pump

serankine

We have been given a pump on trial. My daughter has just turned 5, (was diagnosed novenber 2010) was doing ok on the 4 injections aday but levels were sometimes all over the place. Given the option of having the pump on trial, so took it.
Finding it alot of work but her levels are more stable. My daughter likes not having injections but hates having the canula out and replaced, I know this will proberly come with time. Need to let the Diabtic nurse soon if we want to go for funding or back on the injections. Would love some advice since feel torn. Its learing a whole new way of doing things and putting Leah through pain with the cannula or will it be worth it in the long run. Once the canula is in after 2 minutes forgot about it sugar free tip top pain gone.
Please let me know your experiences and any advice. I would be so grateful. Thank you. :shock:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only as an adult, but loads of parents around with slightly older and younger children....

I wouldn't go back, and if I had this pump when I was diagnosed 25 + years ago, it would have made the last 25 years a lot easier....

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Do you use numbing cream when inserting a cannula?

It does feel slightly different to an injection, to me i can feel it more, but it's also painless. Still can't be nice for a 5 year old!

Maybe the more she experiences the cannulas the better she will feel about them.

Do you use lift sprays or wipes to help the adhesive patch come off with ease??

I use a lift spray as the cannulas i use are very very sticky! and it feels ALOT different when you peel it off without any apray to loosen it first.

Also with more practice the cannula insertions should get easier and quicker, and you should be able to recognise more if there's unusual pressure which can usually mean it's a bad site and it more likely to be painful so you can move to a better area and save her some hassle.

If you have better control with the pump and it benefits her in the long run i would definately go with the pump, it will be good for her as she's growing and running about like 5 year olds do!

Also depending on what pump you have it can be very discreet which would be good for being around other children and school if she's a shy child and may find having injections near dinner time and at the thousands of kids parties i assume she will have to attend!:)

I've seen alot of parents comment on how the pump helps with control over night. Less testing and more sleep for both the child and parent when you have gotten used to the pump and have good control with it.

I've had diabetes since i was 20, and got an insulin pump back in february, i waited over a year to get one and now i have it and worked so hard i would never ever ever give it back unless i was pinned down and it was torn out of my hands! :lol:

I'm sure the pumping parents will be along soon to give you more experienced based advice directly from children but i hope some of this helps. I know i was desperate for a pump but before i decided i wanted one i did alot of research and thinking beforehand so i know it's not an easy decision.

All the best for you and your daughter :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I also think that your daughter may long term basis (teenage years) be better on a pump-solely for the fact that some teenagers can be a little bit rebellious toward their insulin regimes-taking out insulin pens etc and injecting and wanting to fit in etc....pumps needn't be obvious, and with remotes etc that will be so far more smaller and better etc I think a pump would allow long term stability a lot better to be able to manage...

Also, don't forget it is till very much early days for you and your daughter, and a pump is a totally new regime from MDI...and you have said that levels have been more stable...and that has to be a huge part in managing diabetes and living with it on a healthy future looking basis.

Sure some parents will be along soon.....in the meantime wishing you best wishes.....

leggott

My son has been pumping now for just over 3 weeks and we love it!

It is hard and we are still testing through the night, but his control now overnight is better than it has been for ages. I also love the fact that I can correct at night if necessary without waking him and also if he decides he wants a bit more food I can just zap him with the remote rather than having to give another injection.

I believe that we are always learning and I know I've got a long way to go before I will get everything finely tuned, but I would never go back to MDI. My son would not go back either. He still gets upset when we do a change, but loves the fact that he doesn't have to have so many injections. He is already a whiz at bolusing and I don't think it will be long before he will be able to do his own pod change!

Stick with it - hopefully you will reap what you sow!

sugar2

leggott said:
if he decides he wants a bit more food I can just zap him with the remote rather than having to give another injection.

I/quote]

If only other aspects of parenting could be done by remote control!!

Yes, I have only had a pump as an adult, but I have been diabetic since I was 4. I wuld go for the pump as well, because of the freedom it gives. In my childhood (as now) it would have been very useful tobe able to adjust my pump rates, depending on whether I was about to have a lesson of PE, or a lesson of maths. I think that it is quite a different concenpt, and will mean, that while she is still yound, you may have to be a little bit more involved for longer, it will be well worth it. It also avoids having to take needles into school etc, which is also useful,

It is scary, but there are loads of knowledgable people here, who can advise. Going back to MDI is not a bad thing and for many people, MDI works brilliantly, but it is like being happy with a mobile phone...and then the i-phone cmes along, and you wonder how you ever got on without it.

serankine

Thank you for all your advice. It really helps hearing from others who have made the choice and live with it as im trying to so hte best for my daughter but since she is only 5 she loves the pimp due to having the pump teddy holders at night. I havent been given any cream or spray so i am going to ask about that tomoro since taking out the old canula takes ages and does hurt her. Thank again any other advice much appreciated thanks.
Sarah :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
The one i use is lift plus 'non sting' medical ahdesive remover.

It's cold when sprayed on so she might be a bit alerted if you use it with no warning, so may be a good idea to spray it on yourself first if you do decide to get a spray so she can see it's safe if mummy is doing it :)

I find the spray better than wipes as with the wipes you have to pull and wipe under the adhesive patch to get it off.

With the spray you literally spray over it wait a few seconds and peel it off. Easy peasy :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
my doctor would only give us one ametop at a time which was no where near enough so i bought some from boots we have now moved to numbing the area with ice before doing a site change which works well too and we have a spray to remove the old site all these things help make the pump a more enjoyable stress free experience

anna marie

serankine

Thanks again for all your help had a meeting today at the hospital. Have been given the lifting spray ( the nurse said sorry she forgot to give it to us) and we have applied for the funding so hopefully in 6 weeeks we will get our own pump. We are still using the trial pump till ours comes. Thank you for all your help, So nice talking to others who have been there. Alll my daughter really wants is the pump cuddle toy, and now my 2 year old wants a pump and he doesnt have type 1!!1 Oh well we have made him one out of a box and string! Happy days :D