Trulicity/dulaglutide

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've recently started to take Trulicity/dulaglutide, initially 0.75mg, and for the last week, I've gone up to 1.5mg.

I've since been experiencing constipation, stomach ache, bloating and burping. These are known side effects according to the information leaflet, but I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced this, and if so, what did they do (if anything?).

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, and welcome.
Sorry you haven’t had any replies so far. I have no experience of this medication, but there are threads about it. You may find by searching the facility for that is on the top right of screen.
In the meantime, Here is one such thread.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/trulicty-1-5mg.187321/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VashtiB and EllieM

Edknows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried Trulicity some time ago. It was explained to me that the side effects may take up to six weeks to subside and they almost always do.
In my case I started to suffer with lower back pain within a couple of days which turned out to be pancreatitis which continued to be painful for six weeks. Needless to say after one injection, I was taken off it.
Currently I have long acting insulin in the morning and will be adding in fast acting on 18th July as of my review by telephone this evening.
The reason for the delay, I tested positive for Covid on Saturday and my readings are all over the place and need to settle down, albeit high, once I have recovered.
I really had high hopes for Trulicity but it wasn't to be.
- Neil

Ainsley.Rae25

I've recently started to take Trulicity/dulaglutide, initially 0.75mg, and for the last week, I've gone up to 1.5mg.

I've since been experiencing constipation, stomach ache, bloating and burping. These are known side effects according to the information leaflet, but I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced this, and if so, what did they do (if anything?).

Hi there! I have been on Trulicity for 5 weeks now. I'm now on 1.5mg. I have experienced some side effects too. Feeling sick, no appetite, awful diarrhea, headaches, and eggy burps. I'm finding Trulicity helps with my blood sugars for a few days then they are out of control again. I hope you start feeling better soon!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm now on the maximum 4.5mg dose, occasional indigestion and "eggy" burps. 1 lot of vomiting when I 1st increase to the 3mg but I'm not sure if the jab caused it, or I had a bug as I was generally unwell for 48 hrs , but my BG's seem to be moving in the right direction again

Jazza6

Hi, I’ve just started (yesterday) on the weekly injections at 0.75. I have had no side effects whatsoever so far but have sensitive tummy at best of times so I’m still expecting, but hoping not to have, side-effects. Nurse did tell me if I go up to 1.5 in next couple of weeks and it doesn’t suit me then I could continue on 0.75.

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started ozempic recently and have to say that injecting in thigh fat as opposed to stomach made my side effects smaller.

Logically I know this shouldn't matter but it did. Every time I injected in stomach I had constipation and gas and reflux and nausea. When in thigh I was better

Jazza6

I've started ozempic recently and have to say that injecting in thigh fat as opposed to stomach made my side effects smaller.

Logically I know this shouldn't matter but it did. Every time I injected in stomach I had constipation and gas and reflux and nausea. When in thigh I was better
That’s really interesting as I’m suffering from the same. I’ll try the thigh on Monday when next injection due. Thanks for this.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I’ve used it for a few years now. Difficult to say whether it’s caused any of my gastric symptoms as some were present anyway. My control had been reasonable on a healthy ish diet but went up the pole at last checkup. Now the best it’s been with low carbs. Side effects nowadays don’t seem much of a problem but I know one of my work colleagues couldn’t tolerate it at all. We’re all individuals and it’s amazing how differently our bodies react.

Jazza6

Morning to you. I don’t really have a healthy diet but interesting again re low carbs….might give that a shot. Unfortunately like a lot of people I love bread, pasta, chips etc but even if I cut them right down it will help. I suffered only occasionally with constipation and acid reflux but since starting the medication it’s been so much worse. I fully expected to have the other common side effects which were diarrhoea and nausea but so far have not had that at at all. Yes, we are all so different in our response to this medication.

Carina1962

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to be starting Trulicity next week, am a bit nervous but it's my last resort to lose weight.

Jazza6

I'm going to be starting Trulicity next week, am a bit nervous but it's my last resort to lose weight.
Hi Carina, honestly I was very nervous as well but it’s fine. The only worry I had was actually the injection itself but it’s over with so quickly. I am getting a lot of heartburn with it but if it brings down my sugars it’s worth it. I am now going up to double the dose next week and hopefully I can tolerate that. You will be fine.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve used it for a few years now. Difficult to say whether it’s caused any of my gastric symptoms as some were present anyway. My control had been reasonable on a healthy ish diet but went up the pole at last checkup. Now the best it’s been with low carbs. Side effects nowadays don’t seem much of a problem but I know one of my work colleagues couldn’t tolerate it at all. We’re all individuals and it’s amazing how differently our bodies react.
For those thinking of doing a low carb diet with this medication, be aware that we have had some reports of DKA possibly associated with this medication class. If you are low carbing, please make sure you can measure ketones. wee stix for this are cheap and over the counter or online.

Jazza6

For those thinking of doing a low carb diet with this medication, be aware that we have had some reports of DKA possibly associated with this medication class. If you are low carbing, please make sure you can measure ketones. wee stix for this are cheap and over the counter or online.
Crikey I didn’t know that nor did nurse mention. Thank you. Hope you don’t think I’m thick but I’ve never checked my wee before so not sure what I’m looking for.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Crikey I didn’t know that nor did nurse mention. Thank you. Hope you don’t think I’m thick but I’ve never checked my wee before so not sure what I’m looking for.
Wee stix are sold as urine test strips and they come in different flavours. The ones I buy are through amazon, and cover 10 different things to check such as glucose, ketones, protein etc. Simple to use and you compare against a colour chart printed on the carton side. My mum was T1D and she used them for her testing as meters were not invented then, and the only other way of testing was by taste. We are oh so lucky nowadays.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Thank you. I’m seeing diabetic nurse again this evening and have access to wee sticks anyway. I’ve not had any hypos since low carbing 4 is as low as blood sugars have got and hypers have now stopped over last 2 weeks. For some reason she didn’t want me to come off that one yet. Just tested to make sure no ketones or glucose in my urine. Can you tell me what happens in DKA and what to look out for?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I’m seeing diabetic nurse again this evening and have access to wee sticks anyway. I’ve not had any hypos since low carbing 4 is as low as blood sugars have got and hypers have now stopped over last 2 weeks. For some reason she didn’t want me to come off that one yet. Just tested to make sure no ketones or glucose in my urine. Can you tell me what happens in DKA and what to look out for?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8107974/
Basically you start to feel like out of sorts (expletive deleted) and then you lose the plot. Not had it myself but well worth reading up about it. Trouble is Trulicity and Ozempic are not yet officially marked as being connected to this side effect. The leaflets do mention ketones as a common side effect, but not what happens if you get too many ketones or if your kidneys aren't working well that day. Low Carb diet might be enough to trigger an event.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on week 3 and no side effects. Will see if week 4 makes any difference.