Trulicty 1.5mg

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have been on Trulicity for two weeks now and its completely ruling my life. I have one injection per week of 1.5 mg I have constant diarrhea, stomach pains, flatulence and indigestion. I have definetly lost weight in the two weeks and my sugars have come down, but this could be mainly because of being scared at what I am eating to make the diarrhea worse. I cant leave the house as I need to be near a toilet constantly as I dont have time to think about going, I just have to go! Is this how other people have felt for the first few weeks? and did it definetly get better? I am willing to keep on with this as it seems there are many benefits, but I cant live the rest of my life like this. When I first started taking Metformin I was like this for about a week, but have now been on it for a few years and have no side affects from that at all. Sorry for all the questions, but am seriously concerned about this now. Thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @mummycaz, I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time with trulicity.

I don't have personal experience with it myself but I've got to think that after two weeks of diarrhea it's at least worth asking your doctor for advice. (My googling suggests that stomach issues are common, at least initially, but two weeks seems a long time to me.)

Hopefully you'll get some more answers soon, from people with more knowledge than me (all I've got is google, and it's easy to get misled by that.)

Good luck.

Reactions: mummycaz

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @mummycaz, I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time with trulicity.

I don't have personal experience with it myself but I've got to think that after two weeks of diarrhea it's at least worth asking your doctor for advice. (My googling suggests that stomach issues are common, at least initially, but two weeks seems a long time to me.)

Hopefully you'll get some more answers soon, from people with more knowledge than me (all I've got is google, and it's easy to get misled by that.)

Good luck.
Ive read the info sheet that came with the injections and it says that 1 in 10 people can be affected the way I am, but that these should ease?? Just not sure what that means and how long it takes. The first week was fairly bad and then the second week injection has been pretty horrendous tbh.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Trulicity can be a problem for some people. I assume you are on it to try to reduce insulin resistance thru excess weight? You don't mention your diet. Have you reduced the carbs in your diet? Set yourself a daily limit of 130gm or so

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Trulicity can be a problem for some people. I assume you are on it to try to reduce insulin resistance thru excess weight? You don't mention your diet. Have you reduced the carbs in your diet? Set yourself a daily limit of 130gm or so
I have high cholesterol and the consultant from the Lipid Clinic suggested it to my Diabetic Nurse. She says that she has many of her patients on it and it has worked wonders for them. Losing weight and bringing sugar levels down. She also said that scientific studies show that it brings down the chances of heart attacks/strokes, which obviously with my high cholesterol could be a problem. The cholesterol is a family thing and something I am always going to be stuck with im afraid, but anything that helps is good. I just dont know if I can live like this if this is how its going to be all the time. I was hoping that someone on here might also be on it and be able to help with the side affects and length of time it goes on for.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been very lucky, my digestive issues have been no worse than usual (IBS which is much better since my low(er) carb diet), I was slowly being increase to the maximum dose, and found I felt a little nauseous for the 1st couple of weeks of the 3mg, but there's a shortage atm so I'm back on the 1.5

Reactions: mummycaz
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have been on Trulicity for two weeks now and its completely ruling my life. I have one injection per week of 1.5 mg I have constant diarrhea, stomach pains, flatulence and indigestion. I have definetly lost weight in the two weeks and my sugars have come down, but this could be mainly because of being scared at what I am eating to make the diarrhea worse. I cant leave the house as I need to be near a toilet constantly as I dont have time to think about going, I just have to go! Is this how other people have felt for the first few weeks? and did it definetly get better? I am willing to keep on with this as it seems there are many benefits, but I cant live the rest of my life like this. When I first started taking Metformin I was like this for about a week, but have now been on it for a few years and have no side affects from that at all. Sorry for all the questions, but am seriously concerned about this now. Thanks.
It took me a good month or so for each new dose, but starting out the first time was definetly the worst. I had the opposite problem, constipation and a little vomiting. These issues got a lot better after a while, and it was definetly worth it in the end.

There is a smaller dose available at .75. If it's not getting better for you, try asking your doctor to start you at the lower dose for a few months.

Reactions: Carina1962

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband is on Trulicity, this is his 5th week on it, no problems at all, he's lost 18kgs!! He's just started on the next level, so fingers crossed no side effects.

Reactions: Carina1962

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have just started getting interested in anti-diabetic agents/diabetes medications for research reasons, and regarding possible personal use down the line, and trulicity/dulaglutide was on my list, as I think my glucagon response is screwed up, and dulaglutide is an intervention for this aspect of T2D.

I mention these things below if your side effects do not subside, so you can explore other ways to 'attack' those things that are making you a CVD risk (which reads like is the main reason for your prescription?). If you are rolling your eyes at this (because the old 'diet and exercise' thing IS the number one way to deal with lowering CVD risk, and T2D complications risks) - please forgive me! Just thought I would throw it in here for good measure.

Dulaglutide/trulicity gets prescribed if your medical team, it seems to me, consider you a CVD/heart attack/stroke risk, as this is part of the T2D 'complications' profile as we know. You might have more CVD event risk factors than just high cholesterol? If your side effects continue along the line you are now experiencing (you poor thing! egads!) - this could be an avenue to explore more fully with your medical team/GP, because there are lots of ways to tackle the CVD risk beast. (and changing the drug/s you are taking could be one of them for sure).

Nowadays the whole heart health picture, thank goodness (I too have high LDL cholesterol, and have close family members who do) includes size of LDL particles - rather easily assessed via your triglycerides and HDL ratio, which points to CVD risk to a greater extent, as does your triglyceride level generally. (I am pleased for this, otherwise my life insurance premiums would be way higher!) Any CVD risk self-assessor online includes these readings from your blood lipid tests - it may be well worth it for you to have a look.

High weight too is part of the trulicity referal package, and is a CVD risk factor in itself, even without the T2D, unfortunately - to do with sick fat cells, as far as I understand. I absolutely understand that 'weight loss' is much easier said than done! But that might be part of why your doc/medical team prescribed you trulicity in the first place.

(My tip to all is find out the generic term for the drug for googling, rather than a brand name - the generic name gives you the info for doctors and medical/pharmacological bodies so you get more detailed information, but yes - use both your local brand and the generic name when googling for a fuller profile.)

Here is a fuller list of trulicity's side effects, from a NZ site for medical professionals dispensing medicines, called New Zealand Forumulary

"appetite decreased, nausea, vomiting, gastrointestinal pain, diarrhoea, burping, dyspepsia, constipation, atrioventricular block, sinus tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, fatigue, with concomitant insulin or sulphonylurea increased risk of hypoglycaemia; less commonly injection site reactions (rash, erythema); rarely hypersensitivity reactions (including urticaria, anaphylaxis, and angioedema); also reported acute pancreatitis (permanently discontinue)"

Reactions: Ultramum

Suetype2

I have high cholesterol and the consultant from the Lipid Clinic suggested it to my Diabetic Nurse. She says that she has many of her patients on it and it has worked wonders for them. Losing weight and bringing sugar levels down. She also said that scientific studies show that it brings down the chances of heart attacks/strokes, which obviously with my high cholesterol could be a problem. The cholesterol is a family thing and something I am always going to be stuck with im afraid, but anything that helps is good. I just dont know if I can live like this if this is how its going to be all the time. I was hoping that someone on here might also be on it and be able to help with the side affects and length of time it goes on for.
Sorry I can’t help you and I am sorry for all your problems with trulicity. I came on here to see how people were getting on with it as my diabetes nurse wants me to think about going on it or the tablet form Rybelus but I’m not sure which is best. Best of luck to you and i hope things get better for you x

CelticRyan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi, I’ve just had my first injection 3 days ago. 1.5mg , I’ve eaten twice since. I had no idea it appears to have affected my appetite. In 2 days I’ve eaten half a sausage roll and some fried chicken portions. I just don’t feel hungry.

Worrying though as I’m not having breakfast , not craving food whatsoever but I know I do have to eat.

EnidB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been type 2 diabetic for 12 years.
2000 mg daily metformin FOR 10 years . Also took Jaundice for about 2 years but side effects weren’t great plus didn’t appear to be making any difference to BGL. So doc stopped jaundice and switched me to 1.5mg Trulicity - felt yuk for about 3 weeks. BGL around 5-6. Then between xmas and March 2022 gained 10lbs weight. BGL rose 9-11. In March Trulicity increased to 3mg. No decrease in BGL so last week upped to 4.5. Same nausea issues I had with 1.5mg. I have no appetite etc again. BUT my BGL has dropped to between 5-6.5 . This is probably due to feeling full all the time, no appetite etc. I’ve lost 6lbs in 2 weeks . So hopefully will stabilise soon . The best tip I can give you is avoid fatty foods I’m not able to tolerate even a 25g packet of crisps , not necessarily a bad thing but some of the joy of eating has been extinguished maybe as I lose weight I may be able to reduce Trulicity again .

CMDG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Starting Trulicity
Since being prescribed a whole host of new medication for dilated cardiomyopathy (heart failure), my diabetes type 2 has become very difficult to control. After 22 years of first metformin and then the addition of gliclazide the cardiologist prescribed dapagliflozin.
The GP's referred me to the local Community Diabetic Service (CDS) because they didn't want to prescribe dapagliflozin. Their referral was rejected as inappropriate! Gliclazide was restarted and eventually dose doubled by GP who simultaneously referred me back to the CDS for "nutritional advice"?
Appointment eventually arrived. Must admit I was not in the best frame of mind when I arrived for the appointment. I'm a walking calorie counter and use Nutracheck to help weight loss so consider myself nutritionally well educated.
Much to my surprise, there had obviously been some discussion prior to my arrival as with no preamble it was proposed I should start Trulicity - a weekly injection. My weight loss stopped when my Gliclazide dose was doubled, despite considerable effort so was pleased to hear that weight loss was a side effect of the drug but with some other nasty side effects, which hopefully diminish time. I already inject myself fortnightly for an inflammatory arthritis so another injection - no problem.
I'll post my experiences once I get my hands on the prescription!

Last edited:
Reactions: Glen29

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I’ve been on it for a while now. I’m low carbing as well for the last 7 weeks or so. Most of my meds halved like gliclizide metformin relatively new addition kept at one tablet per day and I’ve been advised to keep going with trulicity. I have bouts of very loose stool with very little warning or control, but once it’s happened everything then stays settled for a few days. I’m not sure what causes these bouts, whether they’re caused by the drugs or diet. I’ve seen such a huge improvement in my blood sugars that now run between 4.2 and 7 that I don’t want to rock the boat by changing things. My aim is to come off all medication by strictly controlling my carbs so I’m hoping these current issues are only for a short while. I’d recommend trying it I’ve had a lot of support from other members and my diabetic nurse.

Carina1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on my 2nd week of Trulicity and I feel quite excited about it as it is my last resort to lose weight and reduce my BS levels.