Truth About Exercise

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
In that case Glados you're excused countryside duty :) I don't live in or near Manchester but at times various members of my family have. I live in a very flat area of the country so mountains and hills are wonderful things of beauty to me.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Glados said:
Ladybird, this area has a bad reputation (mostly for how it USED to be) and I was going to post tonight and say I was exaggerating for comic effect... Then I had to take a detour on the way home today, because the police had taped off a large area near to our house. Seems that somebody had been heard firing a GUN last night! :***:

Let me tell you a little tale Glados. Tis all true, I swear..

A couple of years ago, I dragged my weary carcass out of bed on a Saturday morning and traipsed down to my kitchen to make a cuppa (I live in a house on a local authority estate), popped the kettle on and turned to get a cup out the cupboard.
As I glanced into my back garden (big garden with a trees over the fence) I saw a co..police officer, armed, looking straight back at me. I looked at him, he looked at me and then very slowly with a gentle smile he put his finger to his lips to tell me not to make a noise. Like I was going to argue! :shock:

He was using my garden as a cut through as were his colleagues to raid a family that lived nearby. For all that excitement, I still think our area is beautiful..it's just looking past all the dross and focusing on what's good out there. :D

I always lock the back door now though. :shh: .

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
Oh blimey, NOT what you want to see out of the window! :lol:

ladybird64 said:
For all that excitement, I still think our area is beautiful..it's just looking past all the dross and focusing on what's good out there. :D

I always lock the back door now though. :shh: .

I have the same attitude. I love Manchester and I really like living in our bit of it. Clearly I'm mental. But I lock the back door too... :wink:

sheep

Glados said:
I have a pedometer and I have just passed the 50,000 steps per week mark. Go me!

I walk around my local streets (in Longsight, Manchester), admiring the natural beauty of litter blowing in the wind, babies drinking coke from their bottles and gallant young hoodies walking their "muscle dogs". I find that it helps me to walk briskly, when I consider the "wild life" in my area - such as gangs, drug dealers and gun carrying teenagers.

You don't get that in the gym!

As an ex Cheetham Hill resident i can only question your sanity in spending so much time outdoors lol But maybe things have improved up that way since my time because if memory serves me right Longsight was just as bad as Cheetham back then.

50,000 steps a week is awsome so well done on that :thumbup:

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
sheep said:
50,000 steps a week is awsome so well done on that :thumbup:

Thanks! You should see me with my little spreadsheet, adding it all up! When I walk anywhere my boyfriend calls it "pedding". Hahaha! Never been to Cheetham Hill but scallies keep trying to mug my son when he goes to Clayton. :roll:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Any one else watching this? It made a good start using a Massive Attack song at the start :)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I watched it and found it really interesting.

I particularly liked the idea of only 3 mins exercise per week and it improving the GGT result :thumbup:

Who would have thought it possible?

didie

Dislikes
I like the being on your feet and not sitting for more than an hour theory as well. That is really very do'able.

I couldn't do the high intensity cycling as my knees really hate my exercise bike. I wonder what else you could do to the same intensity. I wouldn't mind having a go at the high intensity exercise, but I'd still keep doing the amount of exercise that I do daily anyway as I really enjoy it.

AMBrennan

I somewhat doubt that all those people who just won't do the recommended 3h of exercise a week will go to gym 3 times a week for HIT (get up early, pack bag, physically go to the gym, change, do one minute' worth of cycling, shower, change, physically go home, then go to work); never mind gym fees (£1.65 per visit)... or you'd need a bike at home, in which case you might as well do 30min a day while watching TV.

didie

Dislikes
Not sure Choc, but you can have my exercise bike if you want to try the high intensity stuff. I never use it.

I saw my doctor this morning and she'd seen the programme. She decided I was probably a responder :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
chocoholicnomore said:
Would running up and down the stairs at home work?

Why not, just increase it gradually over a period of days & weeks. I can manage 30-40 times before my legs give out :roll:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
As I can't walk for any distance, can't stand for long, probably will never be able to have another dog (and certainly not a Wolfhound!) - and finally, don't have any stairs :shock: , I found the programme extremely interesting.

The one thing I have been encouraged to do by the physiotherapist is to use an exercise bike - no treadmill, no rowing machine, no weights and pulleys, just not allowed - I have joined our local gym (£30 per month) and try to get there 3 times a week. I pedal on the lowest setting for 15 minutes, at about 11 mph, trying to get my heart rate up to about 130bpm. The idea is that as I strengthen my legs, so I will be able to walk more.

Now, I'm still obese, and pretty sedentary. What I want to know, from those of you who know better than I do, is - will my feeble efforts at HIT, taking my speed up to about 13.5mph and my heart rate up to about 135bpm, do me any good at all?

I'm still easing myself into this exercise idea, and I have no wish to induce a coronary while trying to imitate Michael Mosley!
anyone got any comments that might help me?

Viv 8)

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I'm quite lucky living in Cornwall. I have many places to walk my dogs. I have countryside and beaches to choose from. My favourite is a woodland walk by a river i find it so peacefull and just walk for hours. Usually 5 hours and a 9 mile round trip. I have a boxer which is so full of energy that by the time we get home she is pooped and even though i feel exhausted, i feel great. My dog is a proper water baby and has to be dragged out of the river or sea at times. xyzzy, curious, what dogs do you have?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
mistee71 said:
I'm quite lucky living in Cornwall. I have many places to walk my dogs. I have countryside and beaches to choose from. My favourite is a woodland walk by a river i find it so peacefull and just walk for hours. Usually 5 hours and a 9 mile round trip. I have a boxer which is so full of energy that by the time we get home she is pooped and even though i feel exhausted, i feel great. My dog is a proper water baby and has to be dragged out of the river or sea at times. xyzzy, curious, what dogs do you have?

Have pm'ed you about the dogs :wave:

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I watched the show and enjoyed it. Certainly food for thought, although I think my brain would explode if I did very high intensity stuff.

didie

Dislikes
I watched the show and enjoyed it. Certainly food for thought, although I think my brain would explode if I did very high intensity stuff.

I think my brain would explode as well. I'm going to make a conscious to move round more at work though.

C

catherinecherub

I caught up with this programme last night and really found it interesting.
It was all the more relevant to us as the presenter, although slim, knew he was carrying visceral fat and that his dad was a Type2 diabetic and his readings showed that he was on the cusp of becoming a diabetic. It reminded me that the Newcastle Study was more concerned about the visceral fat of Type2 diabetics.

I think the short bursts of high intensity would just about be possible for me but would refer to myself as a N.E.A.T. exerciser. I do fidget when I am sitting still and like to be on the go, gardening, walking etc. People in the house keep calling me to come and sit down when they are watching a programme on TV that they think I might be interested in. I like pottering about and find it difficult to sit still for a long time. They usually have to come and find me and I am washing the car, cleaning the windows or something similar.
.http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/wei ... vity_N.htm

It also showed that a high fat breakfast would not show so much fat in your blood if you had exercised the night before. Note to self, make sure you exercise the night before if you are having a non fasting cholesterol test.

It did prove that you do not have to pound the pavements jogging morning noon and night or even join a gym to be able to see physical changes brought about by the benefit of exercise.

All in all, an informative programme.