Trying to cut down on carbs

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

Sorry for the ramble coming here!

I've out on sooo much weight since I was diagnosed T1 6 months ago and I'm desperate to lose it for summer.

I've just been through my AS exam period so during the last few weeks I've been eating a lot of high carb ready meals that I crave with stress.

In the last week I've tried to cut down on carbs: where I was previously having 60/70 grams of carbs of pasta I'm now having 30g of carbs of pitta bread and a little humus and fruit.

But I've found that later in the evening and as I'm trying to sleep I keep getting hypos, which was never really a problem for me before.

I'm also a bit worried about doing intensive exercise as I find I don't feel hypos when I'm moving (e.g. I didn't feel a 2.3 when hiking) but I'm terrified of them becoming really dangerous without me even realise.

Has anyone else had any of these problems and how did you overcome them?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What sort of insulin are you on? Do you carb count and adjust your insulin for your carb intake? If you are eating fewer carbs, have you been reducing you bolus doses?

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same questions. If you reduce carbs you most likely need to reduce insulin. I envy people who have managed to eat carbs and get their insulin right. I hypo'd and hyperd all over the place. Getting your insulin there at the same time as your food was impossible for me.

If you're on a basal/ bolus regime are you sure your basal is correct? Basal isn't meant to work on food but it does. If I eat after I take basal I will go lower

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of things can affect insulin needs, including the weather, getting older, and diet change. Even if you're carb counting, a change in diet may trigger a change in the carb-to-insulin ratios or basal levels that are appropriate for your body. If you're having frequent hypos, you need to adjust your insulin.

If you haven't read Think Like a Pancreas, you may find it helpful. Cheers!

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much for the replies guys, you're all amazingly helpful. I've always carb counted with a ratio of 1:10 with novo rapid which is why I don't really understand why the hypos keep happening. I haven't ever thought about changing my basal (I take 16 units of lanctus glargine at 8 every evening) but I will text my DSN and see if she thinks that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe your carb ratio is different and it can certainly be different at different times of day. I am most insulin resistant in the morning and much more sensative at dinner. I take the same insulin with all meals but my meals get bigger as the day goes on.
What are your numbers before bed and fasting. If they're close your basal might be close and your bolus needs adjusting.
Think like a pancreas says if you wake up 30 points lower to back a unit down and if you wake up 30 points higher add a unit. But tests for a few days for consistency.

Just thoughts...