Trying To Figure Carbs In Recipe

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Put a recipe through my fitness and it gave me total carbs for a cake of 420 carbs for the whole thing.

Ingredient
375g clementines say 20 carbs
250g almond flour 50 carbs
Erythritol
Baking powder
6 eggs 4 carbs

Total 74 carbs, so why 420 for the cake? What am I missing?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cant help with the Maths, not my strong point. Is this the Nigella Clentine cake? If you figureout the macros can you share? Many thanks.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it's Nigella's. Was just thinking of swapping out the sugar for erythritol.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I had that idea too. Talked to @shelley262 about it but she thought the clementines would be too carby so I didnt take it any further.

D

Deleted Account

There is more than 20g carbs in 375g clementines. I think there are 12g per 100g which makes nearer 45g.
But this would not account for the whole discrepancy.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Put a recipe through my fitness and it gave me total carbs for a cake of 420 carbs for the whole thing.

Ingredient
375g clementines say 20 carbs
250g almond flour 50 carbs
Erythritol
Baking powder
6 eggs 4 carbs

Total 74 carbs, so why 420 for the cake? What am I missing?
Probably a problem with MFP which I find particularly inaccurate.. although some of your calcs do look a bit out too.

Using Tesco I get
Clementines 375g 36g of carb
Ground Almonds 250g 18 g of carbs
Baking powder is 44% carbs (thats from Waitrose Tesco doesn't give nutrition breakdown)
Teco says zero carbs per egg
Erythritol no idea as have never used it
So probably less than 60g of carbs per cake. Not for me but try and test!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I count erythritol as zero as it has no effect on me, but you’d need to test your own response to it...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The big discrepancy would be in the sugar, surely??

Pure erythritol is actually very high in carbs, but as these aren't digested they won't (or shouldn't!) raise glucose levels, so needn't be counted.

And be wary, MFP may have US total (rather than net) carbs included and this can make quite a difference sometimes. I'd suggest you do as @bulkbiker did and use Tesco (or the actual packaging!) where possible as they will be best for checking UK carb values.

(US net carbs = UK total carbs: USA uses total and net carbs, net being the figure with fiber/fibre deducted. In the UK we list fibre separately from our total "carbs of which sugars" value, so depending on origin, you may see quite different values for total carbs .) Someone, @Mr_Pot I think, has done a nice little graphic showing this.

Robbity

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erythritol is 100% Carbohydrate, all of which are sugar alcohols (polyols) which have a much lower affect on BG than normal Carbs.

Does MFP know the difference ?

On the other hand it is often mixed with other rubbish to give it bulk and texture, which may affect the way your body responds to it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If I’m entering in a food for the first time into MyFitnessPal, I add “uk” to the search string, and then double check against the label to be sure.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everybody, I am not used to doing this so it has been a learning curve. Looking at my packet of superfine almond flour, it says 20g carb per hundred. I haven't used the superfine flour before for this cake. I looked at my usual almond meal and that's 6.8g a heck of a difference. I am going to have to think about this. @Mel dCP thanks. Yes, looks like Nigella tweaked it a bit. Have you tried Nigella's cloud cake?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everybody, I am not used to doing this so it has been a learning curve. Looking at my packet of superfine almond flour, it says 20g carb per hundred. I haven't used the superfine flour before for this cake. I looked at my usual almond meal and that's 6.8g a heck of a difference. I am going to have to think about this. @Mel dCP thanks. Yes, looks like Nigella tweaked it a bit. Have you tried Nigella's cloud cake?
Ok in that case use the measurement on the packet. It should be correct.. or just have a steak?