Trying To Lose Weight On Glicazide

Kimmyco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, i am trying to lose weight by eating approximately 130 g carbs a day..problem is at least once a day my BG becomes alittle low and i end up eating unwanted calories to bring it up...has anyone just stopped glicazide to help weight loss.. am I think I am right in thinking losing weight will have the same long term effect as taking Glicazide. I am on 3x Metformin a day as well.
Kimmyco

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. If your BS goes too low when on Gliclazide then the dose may be a little too high. Gliclazide itself doesn't affect weight loss or gain but enables the pancreas to produce more insulin and this does enable the body to metabolise carbs. These carbs can cause weight gain. When T2, reducing weight may help control BS as it reduces insulin resistance. Gliclazide is prescribed when the pancreas is under-producing insulin so the mechanism is different. Don't just stop the Gliclazide but ask the DN to review the dosage.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome. If your BS goes too low when on Gliclazide then the dose may be a little too high. Gliclazide itself doesn't affect weight loss or gain but enables the pancreas to produce more insulin and this does enable the body to metabolise carbs. These carbs can cause weight gain. When T2, reducing weight may help control BS as it reduces insulin resistance. Gliclazide is prescribed when the pancreas is under-producing insulin so the mechanism is different. Don't just stop the Gliclazide but ask the DN to review the dosage.
I'd slightly disagree in that anything which causes your body to produce more insulin or insulin itself will likely lead to more fat storage if any carbs eaten are not used. It is a known side effect of insulin and this class of drugs - sulphonyurea).
Agree that reducing the dose with the DSN's help is the best option and hopefully that dose will eventually no longer be needed. There are other drugs that reportedly help more with weight loss by helping you excrete more glucose rather than encouraging more insulin secretion, via the kidneys but eating lower carb seems the sensible option here.