Trying To Reverse Type 2 With Diet... Do You Continue To Take Meds?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With Keto, I was calculated that I was able to have 15g a day. And I really struggled with doing it, my husband was supporting me with doing it, I stupidly believed I could only have 15g of carbs a day. I was lean grilled chicken, meat, basically was on the Atkins diet.

The weight did start to drop off, but I was miserable doing it. However, since the Newcastle which is even more restrictive, I’d rather be back on the Keto. Although when I was doing Keto, I hadn’t reached Ketosis, and did a test yesterday and I’m now in ketosis since the Newcastle diet.
Just another voice of concern - 15gm of carbs and grilled chicken is not Atkins - it is a common thing to find it misrepresented, and the man himself too.

Gentiene

Maybe the low calorie, low carb, shakes whatever, just aren’t going to work for some people. I’ve been super fit and slim most of my life, running 5 miles a day, gym, really healthy lifestyle. So I was gutted to get Type 2. The doctor thinks I may have LADA or be heading that way as Type 1 is in my family. So I am currently on shakes with a little protein such as tuna steak as a treat. I’m still around 8 on rising which climbs to 11 by mid morning. I have to say I have stopped taking Gliclazide so this could be the reason, but I just wanted to see if an extreme diet could help. I go to the gym most afternoons and that can bring it down to around 5. After all that and a Metformin I am still 8.9. So I imagine I need to get back on the Glic. As a matter of interest, for those who had success with diet, did you keep taking your meds during the process?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe the low calorie, low carb, shakes whatever, just aren’t going to work for some people. I’ve been super fit and slim most of my life, running 5 miles a day, gym, really healthy lifestyle. So I was gutted to get Type 2. The doctor thinks I may have LADA or be heading that way as Type 1 is in my family. So I am currently on shakes with a little protein such as tuna steak as a treat. I’m still around 8 on rising which climbs to 11 by mid morning. I have to say I have stopped taking Gliclazide so this could be the reason, but I just wanted to see if an extreme diet could help. I go to the gym most afternoons and that can bring it down to around 5. After all that and a Metformin I am still 8.9. So I imagine I need to get back on the Glic. As a matter of interest, for those who had success with diet, did you keep taking your meds during the process?

Hi and welcome @Gentiene
Just to double check... you had an HbA1c of 78 whilst low carbing?
And your doc is telling you that you may be turning fromn T2 to LADA?

Um... that sounds very fishy to me!

Firstly, T2 does not and cannot be turned into LADA. Simply doesn't work that way.
If you have LADA then it may have been diagnosed (incorrectly) as T2, but you need a correct diagnosis because treating LADA with type 2 drugs is likely to flog your pancreas to produce more insulin which will burn it out more quickly. LADA needs to be treated as Type 1 not Type 2!

If I were you, I would do a bit of reading on LADA and its treatment. By getting a proper diagnosis, and by going on insulin early, some poeple with LADA have preserved their remaining insulin production for a long time - to their huge benefit.

LADA needs to be treated as Type 1 not Type 2!

Frankly, If you couldn't get your blood glucose down with all that exercise AND low carb, then your doc should be actively investigating the LADA connection.

Obviously, I cannot diagnose, and I wouldn't dream of doing anything other than suggesting you get straight back to your doc and get some clarity.

If you are T2 you have a chance of reversal, for a while (no one knows how long)
If you are LADA then you are on the wrong treatment regime, and are putting yourself through a very strict diet which has no chance at all of the result you would like.

In your place I would be asking for a second opinion, further testing, and a referral to your nearest Diabetes Clinic.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The description of such high blood glucose on such a restricted diet is far from what I experienced with my rather ordinary type two. I was eating 50 gm of carbs a day and saw under 8 after meals really quickly - and in 80 days my Hba1c went from 91 to 47.
I really think you need to have more checks on just exactly what your situation is, as you are trying so hard to attain what might not be possible.