trying to stay calm

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
My hip/sciatica was feeling better today so I went out to the caravan and washed it and did a few odd jobs. Was working for 3 hours. I am very tired and my hip hurts like hell, but I feel healthier than I have for a very long time. If it was just pain I would do it more often but my hip joint is a bit of a gonner.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My hip/sciatica was feeling better today so I went out to the caravan and washed it and did a few odd jobs. Was working for 3 hours. I am very tired and my hip hurts like hell, but I feel healthier than I have for a very long time. If it was just pain I would do it more often but my hip joint is a bit of a gonner.

Sorry about your hip. I hope you will see some real benefits in your bg levels for the next couple of days after your "exercise".

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
do complications improve?
My feet feel warm tonight no numbness and no pain.
That has not happened for a long time.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm glad your symptoms are subsiding
another 3 stone/20kg and I'm overweight :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do complications improve?
My feet feel warm tonight no numbness and no pain.
That has not happened for a long time.
Complications definitely improve with good control. It's a great reason to improve your control. But it's not a reason to be complacent. Part of the damage is reversible with good control, but part of the damage will be permanent, and the permanent damage will be increasing all the time that control is bad.

Excellent result getting some relief from your symptoms, that is a good sign you are making good progress with your control.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Interesting thing today, I had to work an extra shift and forgot to take food. I had a tin of baxters broth from pre diagnosis so had that for lunch. before was 5.5. I hour after 8.3. 1.5 hours after 8.2. 2 hours after 6.
When I checked before dinner I was 4.9. that is unusually low for me. the last time I was that low was the last time I had a lunch that put me over 8.
Has anyone else noticed this?

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Just happened again. Bacon roll for lunch as away for the weekend. 8.5 after an hour. Before dinner 4.4 which may be my lowest yet.
There must be something to this.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK I'm not good at this.
When I have an unusually high lunch reading my pre dinner seems to be lower than usual, by a significant amount.
Ah OK thanks for clarifying. I think that kind of yo yo effect is fairly typical in T2, because you do make insulin, it can just have a much slower effect on reducing blood sugar and can end up over shooting.
The trick would be to avoid whatever gave you the big lunchtime rise. The pre-dinner low is a more or less inevitable consequence of the post-lunch high. I think. But I am not T2.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just happened again. Bacon roll for lunch as away for the weekend. 8.5 after an hour. Before dinner 4.4 which may be my lowest yet.
There must be something to this.
This is the pattern I get all the time. Not necessarily up as high as 8.5 but by 5 hours after eating (can be from 3 sometimes) I am in the 4's. Think this means your blood sugar response is becoming more like those that eat less fat meals. Remember fat is slow to digest and so is protein so you get a longer flatter response and when you are turning fat to glucose this is also slow and controlled by your body. When you eat higher carbs you get the sugar dump which means your pancreas works harder initially you fill up your cells rapidly with fuel and you just generally tick of the glucose due to your low level insulin

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I am starting to find some things are not as bad as they first seemed. for dinner I had half a tub of sainsbury's taste the difference carbonara and 70g of wholemeal spelt spaghetti. Before5.1, 1 hour 6.0, 1.5 hours 5.3, 2 hours 5.1. Not a huge meal but satisfying.

Reactions: 5 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am starting to find some things are not as bad as they first seemed. for dinner I had half a tub of sainsbury's taste the difference carbonara and 70g of wholemeal spelt spaghetti. Before5.1, 1 hour 6.0, 1.5 hours 5.3, 2 hours 5.1. Not a huge meal but satisfying.

I wish I could get near that, two hours after a meal mine are still double digit, seems to take 3-4 to come down. I don't feel like my control is very good but my latest HBA1C was 37.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I wish I could get near that, two hours after a meal mine are still double digit, seems to take 3-4 to come down. I don't feel like my control is very good but my latest HBA1C was 37.
That is strange. Your HbA1c is lower than mine but I never hit double figures.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is strange. Your HbA1c is lower than mine but I never hit double figures.

My last HBA1C was 40, so seems consistent, but my day to day readings do vary a hell of a lot. I've had >20 readings purely from stress hormones in a particularly taxing and stressful work situations. In these couple of situations I was under immense stress, out of my comfort zone, and hadn't eaten anything that day, and had taken my background insulin. I've taken steps to get a more regular less stressful work routine.