type 1, alpha cell function?

Endy07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am still new to diabetes.. I am 25 years old, I was diagnosed one year ago together with Grave's disese(hyperthiroism), my thyroid level just got to normal levels(still taking medication for another 6 months to try to stop the hyperthiroidism to come back).

The problem I have is that I started to notice from about 6 months ago that my body doesen't let the blood sugars get too low, when they started I had very high blood sugar till I figured it out what it was happening.

So now I am using normally insulin (slow acting once a day and fast acting at meals) and my sugars stay between 5-7 mmol/l even If I don't eat for long periodes of time. More exactly when the blood sugars are getting somewhere unde 5 mmol/l they pop up to arround 7 and so one.. This is not my body reacting to hypoglicemia, I get hypo if I inject too much fast acting insulin and my sugar gets under 4.3

Anyone is experiencing this? Can't find any information why is this happening, could be alpha cell function?

Thank you.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There is a link between Alpha and Beta cells. Beta cells produce insulin and Alpha cells glucagon. The question I'd ask though is whether you have have your insulin levels correct at this stage. It is possible that you are seeing the effects of glucagon release, but before going down that path, I'd undertake some basal testing to confirm that you are using the correct amount of slow acting insulin:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

If you see a flat glucose level when you fast then it would be worth raising this issue with your healthcare team.

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Interesting area, one I've just started looking at but haven't found any good solutions.
I find that when I attempt to stay in ketosis, my bgls seem to rise to 7s & 8s for no reason and I have to constantly correct. I find it to difficult to manage and now have around 60-80g of carbs a day to avoid this.
I also find that a large amount of protein gives a quick and slow bg response but protein is only meant to give a slow response.
Not sure if this is caused by alpha cells, liver dump or something unrelated. I think I need a cgm to track it a bit better.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could also read up on the honeymoon period, often experienced by new type ones as a failing pancreas gets a new lease of life when some of the strain is taken by insulin you are injecting.