TYPE 1 and HYPOTHYROIDISM

Phoenix69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As well as being type 1 I also have hypothyroidism. My I have recently
realised my thyroid is being undertreated and my blood sugar levels have been up having to increase my basal insulin. When I look up for information on diabetes and hypothyroidism what I find is hypoglycaemia risk and type 2 diabetes. Can anybody help please.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't noticed a link between thyroid level and insulin adjustments I must say.

I would suggest you consider going gluten free as its known to be an inflammatory to the auto immune system - ie causes further problems

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Phoenix69 I also have hypothyroidism as well as t1, the t1 came first and the thyroid issue about 3 years later, both auto-immune. I found that when I first started levothyroxine that it took around 2-3 months for my BG levels to settle down, the most important part of treatment is getting the dose right, which can only be checked with regular blood tests, if you can keep going in every month to get a blood test to check your dose is ok, once this settles down your bg levels will become easier to manage. Hope your ok, I found I lost alot of hair, became very tired and suffered low mood until my dose came right.

Phoenix69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you Juicyj. I am just hoping the levels will be right soon. I have been through a lot with the hypothyroidism over the past 4 years . Yes hair loss, overwhelming fatigue, and when trying to resume normal activity levels becoming ill with respiratory infections. Depression to add to it all.
Engineer68 thank you too I have been low carb dieting for about 5th years and gluten free for 4. I very rarely have any processed food. The carbs I have are yoghurt, nuts, fruit or veg or dark chocolate. Very occasionally a bit of ice cream.