1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 and other autoimmune conditions

Discussion in 'Parents' started by Gleary85, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Gleary85

Gleary85 · Member

My son was diagnosed 2 years ago he’s 10.

Pre diabetes and recently he’s had his 4th shingles attack.

He has to go to the immunology clinic to be tested for further autoimmune conditions

Has anyone else had this or similar

Thank you

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do have 3 auto-immune system issues (Type 1, Coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) and Graves Disease (hyperthyroid)) as if you have one immune system problem its not entirely uncommon to have more

But I've never been to an immunology clinic or had shingles (45 years of T1 so far)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

It might be worth asking the Immunology Department if they have any comparable experiences - not necessarily shingles.
    I agree with @Rokaab above, but I have only experienced symptoms that are likely to have been caused by Type 1 diabetes, such as urticaria and eczema. My immediate reaction to your post was "Ouch, the poor chap. I've never heard of this in anyone that young. I had chicken pox as a young Type 1 but waited till I was 60 before getting shingles. He has my utmost sympathy. I hope they find a helpful treatment quickly.

4. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have a few autoimmune conditions and have had shingles a few times, the first time I think I was 12/13.
    Like @Rokaab I've never been to an immunology clinic, although I was seen in a rheumatology clinic once when I just had the type 1 (unrelated-ish to my diabetes).

5. Gleary85

Gleary85 · Member

Ah thanks for the reply! Ino bless him it’s quite nasty and always in the same place. Hoping for some sort of vaccine for it to stop any nerve damage from it

6. Gleary85

Gleary85 · Member

I think when Iv done the dreaded google it says lupus is highly linked with reoccurring shingles. I think Iv just worried myself. Will have to wait and see what they say xx thanks for the reply

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. Gleary85

Gleary85 · Member

Ah no 3! My sister has coeliac and its hard enough without type 1 to contend with!
    I’m hoping it’s not anything else and maybe related to the diabetes x thanks for the reply

8. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If it helps (probably not :)) my mum has lupus and has never had shingles.
    It probably doesn't feel like a good thing being referred to the immunology clinic, but if there is something else going on at least you can find out what that is and get some answers, sometimes it can take many years to get diagnosed with autoimmune conditions otherwise :nailbiting:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook