Type 1 and planning/having a family

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you treat hypos? I treat mine with 3 jelly babies but sometimes that seems to much?

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hi @kitty55 I'm not pregnant yet still at pre Conception unfortunately it's good to hear everything went normal in your pregnancy very reassuring!

Oh apologies, I somehow thought you were already pregnant. Best of luck then with making a baby :) xx

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I correct hypos with jelly babies too. 3 or 4 depending how low I am.
It does get abit tricky once your pregnant with all the hormones as suddenly your body needs more or less insulin.
Xx

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many times do you test a day? I'm testing at least 8-10 times to get used to it and spot spikes before I get pregnant? Xx

Appreciate all the help @natalie22 !

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tia_

I'm type one and like you are keen to have a baby. My hba1c has never been perfect but I'd always been told by nurses that it was 'normal' for a diabetic so I'd never really asked what the number was etc, but I'm wishing I'd asked for more info rather than just being told it was 'normal'. Last year I started attending the pre-pregnancy clinic which I would highly advise if you are planning to get pregnant. They will look at your sugars and help you spot any areas that need adjusting. When I first attended the clinic it was 66, three months on it went down to 61, then last week I was told it's now 57. I know it's not come down loads but it is heading in the right direction which I'm really pleased about. One of the things that's helped is testing more frequently to catch my sugars before they go high, and I also swapped basal insulins in December. I was on Levemir but was told that it didn't last the 24 hours like it's supposed to, so I'm now on Abasaglar which lasts the 24 hours. Perhaps this is something that you can speak to the clinic about?

My consultant at the pre-preg clinic said she was worried I'd have too many hypos if I aimed for the recommended hba1c, so told me to aim for the 50s. I'm now at 57 and she has said I can start trying for a baby if I feel ready to. My husband and I are now trying, but I am going to continuously work at lowering my sugars as obviously the lower the better! I hear so many women say that your control gets better when you find out you have a little one on board.

Good luck :)

Melissa x

HammyBammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Tia,

I'm currently pregnant and type 1. I fell pregnant in November when my HBA1C was 59 which is not ideal, slightly higher than they recommend. I was diagnosed with Type 1 in September and they advised it was dangerous for me to try for a baby as my sugars were so high.

I read so much stuff on the internet about type 1 and high blood sugars that it really scared me when I fell pregnant, I was constantly worrying that something would happen as to be honest I wasn't really listening properly to the doctors, my sole focus was getting pregnant which looking back now was selfish. Anyway now my HBA1c is down to 42 and I'm 25 weeks pregnant with no issues and baby is measuring on track.
I have appointments every 2 weeks at the hospital for check ups and I've been scanned every 4 weeks which is great as you get reassurance that everything is ok.

Your control is so tight over pregnancy that you will probably experience a lot more hypos as you are told your blood sugar have to be between 4-6. I remember when they first told me that, I laughed and thought it was going to be impossible to maintain that but something inside you kicks in when you realize you have another life to look after.

My insulin requirements stayed the same up until I was about 23 weeks but now my ratios have nearly doubled. It was a bit of trial and error, a few mornings I woke up to readings of 11.3 and panicked but its all part of pregnancy!

Best of luck for the future, I hope you get all the support you need.

xx