Type 1 and planning/having a family

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have type diabetes and I'm trying to find some advice from those who have had or who are currently pregnant, me and my partner are ready to have a family but all the he stuff I read on the internet is very dreadful about women who have type one diabetes and all these scary complications, my hba1c is 65mmol and it's never been lower as I struggle to get it any lower but my nurses says that's good and stable for me (had type1 11 years now) please PLEASE help really want to hear people's stories and advice !!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 3 children @tia_ :) and Type 1.

A diabetic pregnancy is hard work because you need to keep tight control, but a huge majority of Type 1s do have healthy babies :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
^ There's my reply above. As other people reply, you'll see their posts appear just like mine have :)

If you click Watch Thread you'll get alerts when people post on your thread, or you can just keep checking back.

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What was your hba1c? I keep getting told that it must be 45-55 that's impossible for me to achieve

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What was your hba1c? I keep getting told that it must be 45-55 that's impossible for me to achieve

When I got pregnant my HbA1C was 32 :)

Can I ask if you're carb counting and adjusting your mealtime insulin according to what you eat?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @tia_ I had gestational before being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and apart from being induced and giving birth to a larger baby at 37 weeks, all was fine.

You have potentially a good case for going onto a pump as it would help you tweak your insulin doses and improve your HbA1c, try speaking to your DSN and see what they advise ;)

Reactions: tia_ and JamesC1

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've asked for a pump but waiting lists are so long! Also have been told off nurse that I need to fit a criteria and I don't meet everything on it, I'm more so worried about birth defects or still births

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How on earth do you get a hba1c at 32!! :arghh:

It's an active, consistent daily job. Get up, test, eat,,test after,,etc etc. Test, analyse and react if necessary. Every single day.

I know that sounds obvious but the way to improve an HbA1C is to clear out any highs. If you do,get a higher than recommended result, correct it.

The best place to,start is to do a basal test to make sure your basal is right as that's the foundation of good control. You can move on to looking at your bolus ratios then.

@Juicyj is right that a pump may be a good option if you're doing all that I've said and still can't get good control.

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For about two months now I've been checking more like 30-90 minutes after meals to see which foods have more of an impact on my sugars it's very surprising what you find but I get set backs like I'll have random spikes in my sugars and I keep thinking if this happened through pregnancy I'll be doubling my risks

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @tia_ Like @azure - I had a healthy 8lb 7oz baby at 38 weeks. It was hard with constant scans & appointments & I was v meticulous abt checking sugars etc. All the best - it's exciting

Reactions: Juicyj and tia_

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @tia_ I will be honest getting stressed over this won't help your body prepare for pregnancy, as with any pregnancy there are going to be risks and things we cannot plan for, I only found out I had gestational after 23 weeks which was pretty late and went straight onto insulin, everything I'd planned for changed overnight, so I sort of just accepted how things were, at the time I had very little knowledge but was being monitored carefully from there. The care you get is amazing and you can't get stressed about stuff, your trust should consider you for a pump but you must push hard in your team for this, due to funding they will be reluctant to hand one out but if your doing everything you can already with adjusting and managing your doses then they should see that you are prepared to put the effort in, don't give up on the idea of getting a pump because someone said something, keep on at them ;)

Reactions: azure and tia_

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For about two months now I've been checking more like 30-90 minutes after meals to see which foods have more of an impact on my sugars it's very surprising what you find but I get set backs like I'll have random spikes in my sugars and I keep thinking if this happened through pregnancy I'll be doubling my risks

You'll have a few spikes during pregnancy - everyone does. As long as you spot them and correct them, that's ok.

I wouldn't necessarily bother testing at 30 mins after food. If you want to do extra tests, test at 1hr and 2hrs maybe. That's where the pregnancy targets are set, so you can then see how you're doing.

@tia_ All my children were born naturally - no sections.

Reactions: tia_