Type 1: Could I be having a mild allergic reaction to my novorapid?

symer001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2b4f994e-74b5-4fbb-94bf-df79b29da98d.jpg
I am a type 1 on an insulin pump, and for over a year now I've been getting a reoccurring rash on my chest neck and face. It will become extremely itchy when exposed to heat or when adgitated by clothing. I am taking antihistamines daily and they do help, but my doctor could not give me a diagnosis and said it could be linked with the diabetes. Had anyone's experienced anything similar? Wondering if I have a slight allergic reaction to my insulin, but surely if that was the case then the rash would be where my cannula is placed?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not a doctor but it would seem unlikely to be connected to your insulin else your site would itch.

An obvious question, but have you ruled out things like moisturisers, etc?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
but surely if that was the case then the rash would be where my cannula is placed?

That's it, you would think the area around the infusion site would be the most effected if it were a reaction to the insulin.

Just wondering if you've changed your soap or washing powder when the rash first appeared, worth looking into as my skin can react to certain washing powders and soaps.