Type 1: Crumpets made my blood sugar shoot up?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wasn't referring to you Chloe, just offering the thought for people that perhaps it's better to wait for some facts before proffering too much advice.

Okay haha. I guess you are right! I will try to have insulin before eating and see if it helps

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bolus means taking fast acting insulin to cover food. However, fast acting insulin is a misnomer. It probably takes in excess of 20minutes for insulin to start working. So if you inject and eat at the same time, your body will have digested the food before the insulin starts working. Then if the food pushes you up high, being high will make you resistant to the insulin, making it harder for your bolus dose to work.

If you injected after you ate your blood sugar was probably rising before you injected so it takes a bit longer for the injection to work.

If you're feeling like no one tell you anything you should - read think like a pancreas and - ask to be put on a DAFNE course.

Ah okay. Thank you haha. That book sounds helpful tbh! I will look into getting it! Yeah I injected after I ate, I realise now that that was probably the problem. I've had diabetes since I was 6 and still to this day I struggle with things. I was told by my hospital that they put me on a carb counting course in the summer but never heard anything back from them :/

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A bolus is just another name for your fast-acting pre-food insulin injection :)

You say you took your insulin afterwards? That may be a big part of the problem. It's best to bolus before eating (unless there's some reason why you shouldn't) and it's usually best to inject in advance - that is, not a few seconds before you eat, more like 10-20mins or sometimes more.That way the insulin can start working so it can catch the spike.

Okay thank you. I will start injecting before I eat and see if it makes a difference!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You say you took 10 units afterwards... is that the norm for you to take insulin after eating.

A lot of diabetics have to take their quick acting (bolus) insulin BEFORE eating.. ie.. if I eat melon I need to have my insulin an hour before!! Or a smoothie will be 20 mins before.

Please try to see if you can get put on a dafne course...

I was told by my hospital in the summer that they put me on a carb counting course and they'd send me a letter to confirm it but never heard back from them haha :/

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I didn't realise I had to respond ASAP. I've been at work and haven't had a chance to respond to everyone. I'm not on a pump

Chloe - We all have "stuff" to deal with that can get in the way of responding to the forum. Just respond when you can. I think sometimes folks can get a bit worried when someone has very high (or very low) numbers, but it's usually out of concern, because the appreciate how awful one can feel with the blood numbers in a more extrreme place.

I'm really pleased your numbers are a bit better now. Whilst I'm not T1, and don't have to work out insulin or other meds, I do appreciate how much of a puzzle it all must be in the early days.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told by my hospital in the summer that they put me on a carb counting course and they'd send me a letter to confirm it but never heard back from them haha :/

Maybe you could put in a call or an email and just ensure you're working your way up any waiting list? You never know, you might even get lucky and be slotted in somewhere soon.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes I did haha, maybe it wasn't enough :( had ten units

Wow, that's quite an amount. I had a gluten free crumpet on Sunday morning ( very rare I eat this food (and had a hypo) I took 2 units !! :rolleyes:

Mickyduff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry I didn't realise I had to respond ASAP. I've been at work and haven't had a chance to respond to everyone. I'm not on a pump

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Just thought it was a little strange you asked a serious question but didn't seem responsive. Glad to hear you're ok now.
DAFNE course is amazing if you can do it.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I can whole heartedly recommended both the book Think like a Pancreas and the DAFNE course. I personally wish i had both read and done years ago. The dafne course helped me loads and the book is something a type 1 diabetic should have at hand, its really good.

Regards

Martin

Last edited:
Reactions: azure

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't even know what bolus is? Haha. I don't get told anything by anyone I'm a bad diabetic
I disagree, your HCP's are responsible to ensure that your have the knowledge to deal with your Diabetes, and, if they have been tardy, I would look to lay blame at their door

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you're ok now? I haven't had crumpets in ages. I might give them a go at the weekend.
I'm almost tempted myself.. But with butter on!

I'll see you on your thread... ;)

Someone had to say it.? Crumpet. Oh matron...
image.jpeg

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Chloe - We all have "stuff" to deal with that can get in the way of responding to the forum. Just respond when you can. I think sometimes folks can get a bit worried when someone has very high (or very low) numbers, but it's usually out of concern, because the appreciate how awful one can feel with the blood numbers in a more extrreme place.

I'm really pleased your numbers are a bit better now. Whilst I'm not T1, and don't have to work out insulin or other meds, I do appreciate how much of a puzzle it all must be in the early days.

Yes maybe that was it. My bad haha. Just didn't have time! I'll try not to worry everyone next time

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maybe you could put in a call or an email and just ensure you're working your way up any waiting list? You never know, you might even get lucky and be slotted in somewhere soon.

I was thinking this. I hen a hospital appointment at the end of Jan. Maybe I can talk to them about it. I just feel like I have no help sometimes. Ever since I stopped being a child they've kinda pushed me to one side. The last doctor I saw about my eyes had no idea what he was talking about

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I disagree, your HCP's are responsible to ensure that your have the knowledge to deal with your Diabetes, and, if they have been tardy, I would look to lay blame at their door

I just feel like they don't care as much now I'm 24 haha :-/

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can whole heartedly recommended both the book Think like a Pancreas and the DAFNE course. I personally wish i had both read and done years ago. The dafne course helped me loads and the book is something a type 1 diabetic should have at hand, its really good.

Regards

Martin

Awesome. I'll look into it today, thank you! Sounds like a good book haha! You'd think I'd know everything about diabetes by now, I've had it since I was 6 and I'm now 24... But nope! Some things are still new to me

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. Just thought it was a little strange you asked a serious question but didn't seem responsive. Glad to hear you're ok now.
DAFNE course is amazing if you can do it.

I'll see if I can do the course :) I have a hospital appointment at the end of Jan, maybe it's worth mentioning to them