Type 1: Crumpets made my blood sugar shoot up?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had two crumpets earlier with margarine and marmite. My blood sugar is 25. I feel like ****. Is this normal? :(

Wilhelm1193

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, this is the nutritional value of a crumpet

Calories 89
Protein 3.6
Carbohydrate 17.9
Fat 0.4
Fibre 0

So 2 + Margerine and Marmite certainly could have elevated your blood sugar.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had two crumpets earlier with margarine and marmite. My blood sugar is 25. I feel like ****. Is this normal? :(

For a type 1 diabetic who didn't bolus for 40g of carbs having a hyper and feeling **** sounds pretty normal. That's why you are prescribed insulin, to bolus and cover the food you're eating. Carbohydrates are digested into sugar, without insulin the sugar can't get into the cells so it just sits in the blood and the high blood sugar makes you feel blurbs.

Have you been on a DAFNE or carb counting course?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
For a type 1 diabetic who didn't bolus for 40g of carbs having a hyper and feeling **** sounds pretty normal. That's why you are prescribed insulin, to bolus and cover the food you're eating. Carbohydrates are digested into sugar, without insulin the sugar can't get into the cells so it just sits in the blood and the high blood sugar makes you feel blurbs.

Maybe the OP did take Insulin, but didn't take enough Insulin for the amount of carbs in the crumpets ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, I assume you took Insulin, but maybe not enough ?

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Certain foods affect different people in different ways, in this case it would indicate that no bolus was given with also the possibility that this product may be causing a long delayed spike.

Regards

Martin

Edited by a mod to remove quote

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

No, I'd say that wasn't normal. I eat crumpets (although I usually only have one for a snack) and my BS is in range after.

The trick is to count the carbs accurately and pre-bolus too. That should catch the spike.

What was your BS before eating them?

If you're at all uncertain about carb counting/ratios/advance bolusing, do ask here and speak to your DSN. I've probably mentioned this book a lot before, but Think Like A Pancreas is a really great book for Type 1s who want more knowledge.

I'd feel **** with a BS of 25 too. I hope you corrected ok and that it's coming down now.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Mickyduff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also if you are on a pump, you can give a duel bolus, which is what I would do.
Anyone else noticed that the OP hasn't responded to any questions or statements??

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, this is the nutritional value of a crumpet

Calories 89
Protein 3.6
Carbohydrate 17.9
Fat 0.4
Fibre 0

So 2 + Margerine and Marmite certainly could have elevated your blood sugar.

Yeah just checked and it had quite a lot of carbs in. I did do insulin though :/ maybe I was just stressed about something which made it higher

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Lol I know this. I injected about 10 units of insulin and my bloods were still high.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No, I'd say that wasn't normal. I eat crumpets (although I usually only have one for a snack) and my BS is in range after.

The trick is to count the carbs accurately and pre-bolus too. That should catch the spike.

What was your BS before eating them?

If you're at all uncertain about carb counting/ratios/advance bolusing, do ask here and speak to your DSN. I've probably mentioned this book a lot before, but Think Like A Pancreas is a really great book for Type 1s who want more knowledge.

I'd feel **** with a BS of 25 too. I hope you corrected ok and that it's coming down now.

Thank you. This helped! Normally with crumpets I'm okay, I stay away from most breads etc, which is why I'm confused. I have been upset at something this morning, maybe that had an effect too? I dunno haha. It's down to 7 now thank you :)

Reactions: azure

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone else noticed that the OP hasn't responded to any questions or statements??

Sorry I didn't realise I had to respond ASAP. I've been at work and haven't had a chance to respond to everyone. I'm not on a pump

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, there's a whole lot of theory been presented based on minimum information from the OP!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You say you took 10 units afterwards... is that the norm for you to take insulin after eating.

A lot of diabetics have to take their quick acting (bolus) insulin BEFORE eating.. ie.. if I eat melon I need to have my insulin an hour before!! Or a smoothie will be 20 mins before.

Please try to see if you can get put on a dafne course...

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I did take insulin haha,
Sorry didn't state it, that's why I'm confused :/ I took about ten units afterwards

A bolus is just another name for your fast-acting pre-food insulin injection :)

You say you took your insulin afterwards? That may be a big part of the problem. It's best to bolus before eating (unless there's some reason why you shouldn't) and it's usually best to inject in advance - that is, not a few seconds before you eat, more like 10-20mins or sometimes more.That way the insulin can start working so it can catch the spike.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't even know what bolus is? Haha. I don't get told anything by anyone I'm a bad diabetic

Bolus means taking fast acting insulin to cover food. However, fast acting insulin is a misnomer. It probably takes in excess of 20minutes for insulin to start working. So if you inject and eat at the same time, your body will have digested the food before the insulin starts working. Then if the food pushes you up high, being high will make you resistant to the insulin, making it harder for your bolus dose to work.

If you injected after you ate your blood sugar was probably rising before you injected so it takes a bit longer for the injection to work.

If you're feeling like no one tell you anything you should - read think like a pancreas and - ask to be put on a DAFNE course.