Type 1 & dealing with hair loss

Cem92

Hi all,

My names Cem, I’m 27 years old and I have been a type one diabetic for the past 23 years. I started a stressful job at the end of 2018 to which a colleague of mine who at the time was also “balding at the top” mentioned that my job would do this to me too. Needless to say he was right. A year in to my job and I’d be dealing with a lot of hair loss and hair thinning myself and wondered if anyone was going through similar circumstances. I could correlate the hair loss to my job or diabetes but don’t want to dwell on what is and rather think about what could be. I am contemplating a hair Transplant and I mean REALLY contemplating. I’ve read a few articles suggesting transplants are a no go for people with type 1 diabetes.

The question is, is it worth the risk?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat and MIQ

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do remember that some people just go bald quicker than others, I know my brothers hair was starting to disappear when he about 30, yet mine is thicker than thick (and it does what it wants, not what I want), so it could well be nothing to do with your job :). My ex-boss (now a good friend) started to lose his at roughly that age as well

My brother decided to just shave it all off, lot less effort than anything else if nothing else :)

Bill166

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 for 40 years, one effect I noticed a long time back is I lost the hair on my legs! Girlfriends would ask me if I shaved them... My arm hair is finer too, but head hair is fine. Rokaab's right - guys vary enormously when it comes to losing head hair.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I once sat as a guinea-pig for a FRCP exam and the medics were asked to comment on my lower legs and feet. It was to see whether they noticed lack of hair which would suggest Type 1. I made up for it on top! An 18 year old at the same department had receding hair when he first arrived, which started to drop out at the back later on. I have not heard about Diabetes causing cranial hair loss however.

Reactions: Cem92

Louisc

I have been a Type I diabetic for 47 years and took on a stressful technical role in my late twenties. By the time i was 30, i was totally bald. At the time i was unhappy about the event, especially as my brothers still have a good hear of hair, even to this day. However, i was interested in Rokaab's comment about losing hair on his legs. Over the last ten years i have had the same experience, and am totally embarrassed by them now. I think it is related to poor blood flow, in the lower limbs. All in all, i try to look after my diabetes and take everything in my stride

SuzanneK67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

My names Cem, I’m 27 years old and I have been a type one diabetic for the past 23 years. I started a stressful job at the end of 2018 to which a colleague of mine who at the time was also “balding at the top” mentioned that my job would do this to me too. Needless to say he was right. A year in to my job and I’d be dealing with a lot of hair loss and hair thinning myself and wondered if anyone was going through similar circumstances. I could correlate the hair loss to my job or diabetes but don’t want to dwell on what is and rather think about what could be. I am contemplating a hair Transplant and I mean REALLY contemplating. I’ve read a few articles suggesting transplants are a no go for people with type 1 diabetes.

I have been type 2 diabetic for the past 22 years on various medications and on insulin for the past three years. Over the years gradually my hair has thinned and I lose a lot when I wash my hair. I did go to my doctor about five years ago who sent me to a dermatologist and he said I had women's hair thinning pattern. I decided to check side effects of my medications and found that one of the side effects of statins is thinning/hair loss. So with this knowledge I approached my GP again and told her that I would like to come off statins but unfortunately she felt that it was better for me to have thin hair rather than a stroke or heart attack! So that is where I am today at aged 71 with thinning hair. My cholesterol has always been good but I believe it is part of the whole diabetic package that one is put on statins to protect the heart. I have been on statins for about 20 years now.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am T2, but also started noticeably losing hair a few years ago.
I've lost most of the hair on my body, what is left on my legs grows in small patches then drops out, all the hair that is left is much thinner than it used to be. I block the shower drain nearly every time I wash my hair.
The dermatologist insisted I have (older) female pattern baldness even though most of this doesn't fit that pattern.
I'm not on statins, my diabetes is well-controlled/blood sugars are fine (and the hair loss started before T2).
So no idea why and my GP/the clinic aren't interested in finding out.

(BTW that pic is from 4 years ago, when I had so much thick curly hair the hairdressers used to stop half way through a cut to sweep up)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's something else to blame on the statin then - when diagnosed I took a statin for just a few weeks, and my hair came out in handfuls. I stopped the tablets for other reasons - and thought the hair might regrow. It hasn't.
I don't care. I wear a hat or headscarf when it is bright sun but otherwise, that is what it is like.
No worries.

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
Hi all,

Fact of life mate, I would say most guys loose their hair. Me? Mine fell out in abundance when I was pre-diagnosed 30 years ago at 30 years of age. Just accepted it and got on with the more important things. Life is too short to worry about vanity.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm as bald as a coot :p but iIrc my hair started thinning noticeably in my mid 20's and I've shaved it ever since, my son's in his mid 20's and I'm noticing his hairline receding :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cem92 - I would suggest you hold fire until you can have a decent, broad spectrum panel of bloods done.

Many things can cause hair thinning or loss - vitamin deficiencies or thyroid could be in the mix, without you necessarily feeling under the weather.

I know when my thyroid was struggling, I shed way more hair that usual.

I hope you get to the bottom of it all, Cem . Hair loss can be very distressing.

Cem92

Thank you all for sharing your experiences & circumstances.

I think this best point of call for me is to consult in a doctor first. And if it’s something out of my hands then just let it be I guess...

I hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your advice.

I think I’ll consult my doctors first.

Just on a final note, when my thyroid was really struggling, the hair on my legs pretty much completely disappear. Now, as a girlie sort, I was very happy about that aspect.

Now that my thyroid is in a better place, I have noticed my leg hair has returned with a vengeance.

As my dear old Dad would say, "Every cloud has a silver lining, but most silver lings aren't cloud-free".

He knew a thing or two, did my dad. :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well as you can see from my pic my head is bald however this is through choice , I shave my head every couple of days, I do have alopecia, but that’s not the whole story, it’s only partial , it started about 4 years ago. I lost my left eyebrow ( well most of it ) , and if I now try to grow a goatee I have a bald patch on the right side so combined with the left eyebrow it’s quite a good look not lol. It doesn’t bother me and I’m definelty not a stressed person. Also the hair on my stomach is away now too . Legs are fine and my ears god I have enough hair growing out of them to make a wig lol I went to the doc and he said it’s alopecia.
He said you have 1 auto immune disease so not surprised you have another., I do wish it would be total if I’m going to have it would save me a fortune on razors for my head lol

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are talking about male pattern baldness that has nothing to do with stress or diabetes. It is caused by your androgen genetics. The gene is strong in my family but I cheated and got a hair transplant that cost 4k in Turkey. I now have a full head of hair

Hey I might as well give myself some happiness o_O