Type 1 diabetes and cramp in legs and feet

Clarakor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi... My blood sugars are perfect and my ketone levels are negative.. This last week I've been getting cramp in my legs and feet. It comes on constantly and often in multiple places. I don't think it's anything to do with my type 1 but it could be.. Any advice??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

shr1969

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who claim they know how I feel.
Been told to test my blood when I'm grumpy.
Constantly been asked "should you be eating that".
This could be Neuropathy - would be worth speaking to your GP about :)

sammey90

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Cramps often come from a salt deficiency - my bf (in another life!!) suffered terribly when he worked abroad, but eating a packet of crisps before bed worked wonders. Not sure how it would fit for you diet-wise...

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I get a bit of cramp in my fingers from time to time. Never really worried about it though :-/

Tom

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get really bad leg cramps before I was diagnosed. Dehydration and insufficient salts and electrolytes is a frequent cause.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would do as shr1969 suggests and see your gp about it, Quinine (which is found in tonic water and bitter lemon drinks) is said to help with leg cramps at night but as yours is present all the time it's best to get a professional diagnosis of the cause.

iHs

Hi

Its easy to imagine that the cramps are caused by all manner of things but the only way to find out the cause for sure, is to see yr Gp. I started to experience leg cramps in bed but didnt suspect bad control of bg to be the culprit. Instead I suspected the low dose statin and stopped taking it but still the cramp continued. I eventually had a blood test done to find out what was wrong and vitanin D deficiency was the culprit. I had a vit D injection done and within a week, the cramp stopped but do see Gp first rather than self treat.