1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Diabetes is killing me

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by indiaemily, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Good to hear from your @indiaemily I have been watching the thread to see if you've posted, so pleased you did ;)

Don't ever feel alone, we are your diabetes family so when you are ready to take control, come back.

I hope you find courage to speak out and get the support you need to get on top of this, think of it as 'nothing to lose' so make a nuisance of yourself and good luck x

• Like Like x 6
  2. Claire007

Claire007 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know you're probably not ready for this yet, but it might be an idea for when you are. I have only recently been diagnosed, I was terrified, couldn't take on board any info, and totally bewildered.
    I started by calculating:
    One breakfast ( I don't often eat breakfast though, and when I do it's full fat Greek yoghurt and strawberries, every time!)
    Three lunches
    Three dinners. That was it, for the first couple of weeks I pretty much stuck to this, I calculated the carbs, injected and adjusted if necessary. I then began to add in more meals. I felt safer doing it this way.

One day at a time sweetheart, you'll get there x

• Like Like x 4
  3. alexander st clair

alexander st clair Type 1 · Member

------------------------------------
    Just take it easy An I hope only the best for you :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bagpuss Lives!

Bagpuss Lives! Type 1 · Active Member

I got diagnosed at 25, am now 42 (almost!). And I've found it incredibly hard going and not accepted it until about a year ago.....and had got alot of the complications. I wouldn't comply too well with insulin and only took it randomly eg when I felt so sick I threw up, and was falling over cos my bs was so high. My meter would read "hi" - ie 33+ so I'd take a randomly decided 40units of humalog, have nothing to eat or drink for the next 4 hours. Then when I retested my bloods it'd have come down to 27 -29. So clearly it'd been horrifically high. I learnt the hard way.

Ask ur dsn or GP or consultant for referral for support and counselling, they won't tell you what or how to feel and can support you to get ur head round it

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook