TYPE 1 DIABETES MAY (almost) TRIPLE THE RISK OF EPILEPSY

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ny type of diabetes increases the risk of a host of diseases and disabilities which is one of the reasons the rate of increase around the world is so alarming. Both the increased rate of diabetes and the increased risk of disease and disability provide ample reason for both prevention and symptom reeducation through healthy lifestyle choices as discussed elsewhere on this website. A studyfrom China Medical University Children's Hospital in Taiwan and published in the journal Diabetologia found the risk of developing epilepsy to be almost triple for those with Type 1 Diabetes over those without the disease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Honestly do we need to know about something else that can happen to us with diabetes? Too many horror stories. No wonder many on this forum suffer anxiety!

Reactions: 4 people

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly do we need to know about something else that can happen to us with diabetes? Too many horror stories. No wonder many on this forum suffer anxiety!
I can certainly understand the anxiety.
I've had 9 eye surgeries. 7 on the right and 2 on the left. The result on the right is the loss of the eye. I have a prosthetic now. After one of the surgeries on the left there were some complications. I went to two ophthalmologists who completely discounted the problem. I still consider them both quacks. Neither had done the surgery. I had the surgery done in another part of the country. The surgeon was excellent but there was a rare problem (a rare problem has been the result of most of my surgeries). I knew there was a problem and knew what the signs were and had an optometrist verify it and give me drops. I then went to a larger city where a good ophthalmologist again verified the problem and confirmed the drops were what was needed. Had I not known the signs and been persistent I would be totally blind. While I really do understand the anxiety, for some, it may be empowering to know what to look for and the possible problems. It could save someone's life.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Perhaps I didn't quite catch the gist of your post, but really there's no use in recalling the need for prevention among Type 1s, as there's no way to prevent T1 diabetes. And as for healthy lifestyle, why, that's a pillar of our therapy, I mean we're forced (and well used) to adopt it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I wish when you posted your links to your articles they contained useful links to real data instead of google links to lists of stuff. Usually a significant portion of your paid search lists is totally irrelevant and you get paid for the visits.

Your blog articles are nothing more than paid advertising in order to drive adwords revenue and never contain anything other than headlines and links to lists. If you are going to post this rubbish, please provide something vaguely useful as commentary.

leeroy69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Information is good but telling us we are even more at risk with all the above I don't see the point the amount of time risk is used and don't see how this helps anyone

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ny type of diabetes increases the risk of a host of diseases and disabilities which is one of the reasons the rate of increase around the world is so alarming. Both the increased rate of diabetes and the increased risk of disease and disability provide ample reason for both prevention and symptom reeducation through healthy lifestyle choices as discussed elsewhere on this website. A studyfrom China Medical University Children's Hospital in Taiwan and published in the journal Diabetologia found the risk of developing epilepsy to be almost triple for those with Type 1 Diabetes over those without the disease.

Are you sure they got that right? Some symptoms of hypoglycaemia with rapid blood sugar drops through "insulin therapy" could be mistaken for epilepsy...?

Kids in the "honeymoon" phase could be vulnerable to such episodes as insulin doses & ajustments are made & the patients pancreas has a few last bouts of function....
Symptoms highlighted in this very old video?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's another condition we may or may not get :wideyed: My mum had epilepsy ( but growing up we weren't told she had it, but I knew she took tablets for something)
I don't want to go through life worrying about what I might get because of type 1 diabetes, otherwise we may all end up dying through stress and worry with heart attacks, before our actual time is up. :eek:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh good grief. Something else that we are at higher risk of.

If it is all right with you folks I am going to ignore this and worry more about the risk of me being run over by the proverbial bus on my way home. At least that I can do something about (hopefully) where as all these stories about increased risk just seem like sensationalised headlines to me.

/A

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

How can we 'type 1 's' prevent it, it's an auto immune condition :confused: I will look forward to your reply :)