Type 1 Diabetes

adam80

I have type 1 diabetes and have starting showing symptoms of complications. i am loosing the battle to diabetes although i am very fit and always am in the gym or playing rugby. i need some ideas to help me manage this and stop any further complications cause i am not the type of person that would go for the whole kidney dialesis or have my legs amputated. I think i would prefer to go with a full body and not suffer the indignity of those procedures.

Is there any operations i can have or register for. I am willing to pay for it privately or better still if on the NHS.

Let me know your thoughts my Hba1c is 8 and has been for a few years.

thanks everyone, and i hope if you are suffering like me, you are able to manage it and hopefully all make a full recovery

thanks

adam

howie

probs the best thing is to get you hba1c to that of a non-DB. it's basically why they don't get complications and db's do.

hba1c of 8% means your running at 7, 8 & 9 most of the time. non-db's run at 4, 5 and 6 and have hba1c's of betwen 4 & 6%.

i dont think there's anything you can pay for to help you out except maybe an insulin pump for better control.

try posting on the T1 group their pretty helpful, some people on here say you can halt and even reverse complications. what have your a1c's been in previous years?

hope you get some answers,
howie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Adam.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and read the success stories on here. They might give you some heart.

As Howie says, that HbA1c of 8% is not good. I am sure it is all down to running excessively high Bg levels. That is why you are now getting signs of complications.

There is no 'quick fix'. You MUST get those daily levels lower either through diet or more Insulin. The safest and best option is to change your diet. You may then be able to lower the Insulin doseage with better control.

Are you testing before and after meals at all, do you know what your 2hr post meal levels are ? Can you give us an example of a typical days food intake, including snacks. We might then be able to make suggestions which will get you back on track, get that HbA1c down. All is not lost, you just need some willpower and determination not to let Diabetes take over your life.