Type 1 diabetic building muscle advice on meal plan

RyanX24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I have been lifting weights and have seen some gains in the last few months

I am wanting to make a stricter food plan and workout diet/routine.

I have come to that point where I don’t seem to be gaining much more and was wondering for different guys who are T1 and lift weights there daily eating rountine and what they eat.

I also have a shake after I do a workout which is multipower formula 80 as this is the only shake I seem to be able to have due to my survere nut allergy!!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not unusual to reach a point where gains & strength seem to stick, weight gain of course is more calories eaten than burnt, carbs & proteins contain the same calories (4/gram) so, testing often, increase your protein intake, tuna and chicken are sugar free, as are eggs.
Assuming you're doing the basic compound exercises first & foremost try lowering your reps but increasing weight if you can grab a spotter etc, and stick with it, testing often.

RyanX24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for the reply. I’m doing a split of chest and tricep
back and bicep
shoulder and trap
abs and legs

4 times a week should I try a different split as I have been doing this or months now?

Thanks

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for the reply. I’m doing a split of chest and tricep
back and bicep
shoulder and trap
abs and legs

4 times a week should I try a different split as I have been doing this or months now?

Thanks
An easy change there would be to train tri's after back, biceps after chest, counter intuitive but you could find you've more left as your biceps are worked with your back, ditto tri's with chest.
I've never done them but a lot of lads wanting strength swear by the '5x5 strong lifts' maybe worth Googling to see what you think.
Best tricep exercise (in my opinion) is the 'French press' with an EZ bar, and alternate curls for the biceps avoiding stuff like preacher curls.

But keep going, don't be afraid to change a routine, swap barbell presses for dumbells and vice versa, free weights >machines :)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My advice is write everything down, what/when you eat, include the amount and be honest, write down sets, weights, rep ranges and how easy, hard they were to perform. Also it depends how long you have been training, it takes years and years to do it properly, around a year to maybe add 2lb of solid muscle on a human frame, sorry to say. Stick with your basic compound movements, things like Bench press, Incline press and decline press. Squats/Leg press, Thigh extensions and leg curls, Shoulder press, side lat raises, rear lats and traps. Triceps should be Close grip press, heavy push downs, Back deadlifts, pull downs, rows. this is just a selection of some exercises. It is difficult to tell some one how to train without knowing rep ranges and sets and also how easy/hard things are. I will post later on for nutrition for me when I was packing the size on when training seriously

Reactions: kev-w

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey, I need to lie down just reading all of that! Kudos to you all!