Type 1 Diabetic Low Carb Pregnancy

becs99

Hello, I have been type 1 diabetic for 11 years, I've been using libre, and have now been put on to a DexCom by my hospital team for 3rd pregnancy. HbA1C was 44 at booking bloods, which is my best ever and I achieved this with low carb - around 50 - 70g per day. Since becoming pregnant my sugars have been a bit all over the place, but my average blood sugar is still only 8, so overall it can't be that bad, but I freak out when I see readings in double figures! I need help from people who have done low carb through pregnancy please. With my previous 2 children I had a normal diabetic diet, I fixed my carbs and then we could see my insulin requirements going up and subsequently crashing at 34 weeks when I was brought in for emergency delivery due to risk of placental failure....I am worried that I will need to see patterns with this again, but my carb ratios are completely off as I haven't counted for ages. I just injected similar amounts for similar meals, I understand that maybe I should count my protein content and divide this in half to add to carb counting? Has anyone any experience of this? The hospital have so far not been helpful, advising me to eat more than 150g carbs and to ensure I inject 20 minutes before my meal - which in fact sends me low with a low carb meal. I am struggling to find much information on low carb ratio management in pregnancy so any advice anybody can give would be much appreciated!