Type 1 diabetic

Hello, I’m new to the site I have been type 1 diabetic for 30 years was 10 years old when diagnosed I’m now nearly 41 has always been a struggle for me as I have always suffered with low blood sugars and now have really bad hypos where I don’t get any warnings very scary, has been a hard few years for me since having my third child as been diagnosed with other health problems but it’s nice to know that there are many people out there dealing with this and hopefully we can support each other, thank you very much for listening

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

I feel for you about the hypos. I've had several periods of reduced/lost hypo awareness and I can honestly say that hypos are my personal most hated part of diabetes. (50 years T1 here and pregnancies were hypo hell for me).

A few things that might help (if you haven't already tried them).
1) aim to keep levels between 6 and 12 for a few weeks.
2) get a continuous glucose monitor (the libre can be made to give alarms when your bg goes out of your chosen range by adding a transmitter)
3) go lower carb - reducing insulin can lead to fewer swings (for some).

Good luck.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Daisyhelen1979 . Welcome to the forum. Never too late to join the gang.
Probably not the best time to join with only one topic of conversation at the moment.
Hypos are a real pain and can drag us down. @Ellie-M has given some good tips .

Have you considered different insulin’s and if you’re on multiple daily injections have you considered a pump.
Apologies if these are options you have tried or considered.

jane1950

I am type 1 diabetic, and on ramipril for high blood pressure, and atorvastin for high cholesterol, diabetes is not always well controlled, how much would I be affected if I got coronavirus

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello, I’m new to the site I have been type 1 diabetic for 30 years was 10 years old when diagnosed I’m now nearly 41 has always been a struggle for me as I have always suffered with low blood sugars and now have really bad hypos where I don’t get any warnings very scary, has been a hard few years for me since having my third child as been diagnosed with other health problems but it’s nice to know that there are many people out there dealing with this and hopefully we can support each other, thank you very much for listening
Hi and welcome! Hypos suck. Have you tried basal testing? Sounds like yours could be a little high if you’re having loads. There’s a really good guide here: https://mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing

I am type 1 diabetic, and on ramipril for high blood pressure, and atorvastin for high cholesterol, diabetes is not always well controlled, how much would I be affected if I got coronavirus
Unfortunately there’s literally no way to answer that, other than to work as hard as you can to keep normal blood sugars and avoid people as far as is possible. Do you follow sick day rules when you get ill? They are a good place to start.

Reactions: Marie 2 and EllieM

jane1950

Hi and welcome! Hypos suck. Have you tried basal testing? Sounds like yours could be a little high if you’re having loads. There’s a really good guide here: https://mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing

Unfortunately there’s literally no way to answer that, other than to work as hard as you can to keep normal blood sugars and avoid people as far as is possible. Do you follow sick day rules when you get ill? They are a good place to start.
No, I just bring it down, and carry on, but someone said that blood pressure problems would mean I could die if I got it

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No, I just bring it down, and carry on, but someone said that blood pressure problems would mean I could die if I got it
We’re always less healthy when our bodily functions go out of their optimum ranges, but I’m assuming you have effective treatment for your blood pressure? Is your ramipril doing the job?

jane1950

We’re always less healthy when our bodily functions go out of their optimum ranges, but I’m assuming you have effective treatment for your blood pressure? Is your ramipril doing the job?
Not always but at the moment I also have a cold, so my immune system is probably more at risk

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can I ask what sort of diet do you have? Do you low-carb to minimise BS swings? I assume you are on the Basal/Bolus insulin regime?