Type 1 Diabetics

shell123x

I have had type 1 Diabetes for 7 and a half years now. When I first got told I was Diabetic it was a shock, the only time I had heard about it was on Coronation Street that year because it had just been brought into the story line and even then I didn't have a clue about what it meant, I was also the only one in my family with it so a lot of research was done.
The first few years I was a terrible teen not only did I find out I had type 1 Diabetes I also started my period so as expected my horomones were all over the place. I ended up pushing away my family and friends and falling into depression, which sent me back to hospital. As the years went on my Diabetes seemed to become more controlled and I accepted it more.
However the last year I have gone straight back to square one...high HbA1c results, feeling tired all the time and I have been admitted into hospital twice this year due to high readings. They have suggested I try 'carb counting' which is where I count the carbohydrates in each meal/snack and adjust my insulin units to the grams of carbs i.e 10g of carbs is 1 unit of insulin. I feel as though this hasn't worked because yesterday I was rushed to hospital again so I am now planning to ask about the insulin pump because when looking at reviews it seems to work for a lot of young adults.
I do feel low again as it seems to be controlling me rather than me controlling it and so I have decided to sign up to this site as well as DiabetesUK to try and get help and meet people who are going through the same thing. I hope to meet new people not to just talk about Diabetes but someone to relate to as well as talk about interests and take our minds off the fact of having Type 1 Diabetes.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya shell,
i answered your post in greetings,
i too was in total shock as id never met anyone with diabetes, to this day i dont really know anyone with type 1 in the flesh, only on here :D
i was 32 on diagnosis and noone in my family is diabetic at all, i also have a few other illnesses so wasnt too impressed on acquiring another lol, since being on basal bolus and carb counting im doing good, still having blips and still learning, if u ever want a chat with an older woman lol just shout
amanda x :D

ZACNEMMA

Hi,
love and hugs.
I am sure you will find lots of support and good practice on this site. I don't have diabetes but my son was diagnosed almost 2 years ago at the age of 12-it is such alot to take on board.

lots of love Emma x

liklejojo

Hi Shell,
I said hi in the greetings bit but I just saw your query about insulin pumps, I'm 24 and I've been on it for about 18 months I find it much better but you do have to put in a lot of work to get the end results. Have a chat with your diabetes team and see what they think about the pump. You do need the carb counting on the pump, its practice to be honest because I didn't feel like it was working for me either and then one day it just clicked, still lets me down sometimes though.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Shell,

What you are going through is quite usual. Loads of us have experienced this... you think you've got your readings, doses, etc, perfect, then for no discernable reason your levels end up all over the place.

I'm similar to you... have been diabetic for 5 years and have struggled to get my hba1c below 8.4. I have been religiously carb counting, writing down every insulin injection, every bit of food I eat, every piece of exercise I do, and still wasn't getting anywhere.

I ended up asking about pump therapy and the nurses and consultant were all positive about it. That was about 8 months ago. Once in the system, I've followed all the advice and gone to the sessions they have run and I'm getting a pump in January. I too live in Hampshire - where abouts are you? I go to the l(Hospital name removed) hospital. I think the care team there is amazing.

Drop me a line if you want to chat more - personal message is fine too. Any questions please ask - I'd love to help you if I can ... I'm really excited about getting my pump. I think it's a brilliant offering if you can get it. I reckon I can probably tell you the right things to say :wink:

Sam.

shell123x

Hi guys! Thank you for the replies :) I must admit I'm keeping my fingers crossed to being offered the pump but I'm obviously still scared because it's all about control but I miss my old self :( but thank you for the replies they've been really helpful!

xx

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you find your care team? Are the nurses helpful? In the past I've forgotten they are there and then kicked myself when I remembered I could phone them any time for advice, help, or just a chat. And every time I talk to them they're really helpful, whatever I want to discuss.... whether it was food poisoning and having to be guided through the sick-day routine (they called me every 2 hours to make sure I was all right) right the way through my just wanting to get back on track.

I had a refresher in carb counting and good levels to aim for before meals and before bed time... it all helps. You have to be a sponge and just soak up all the information. It doesn't matter if it doesn't all work first time, but every time I talk to them I pick up something new and useful.

Hope you get round to feeling better soon.

Sam.

shell123x

Yeah my care team are pretty good, it's only one nurse who I rely on but she's so helpful...did you get my private message? I still can't use this site lol

x