Type 1: Flu jabs?

louiisehelen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I have received a letter to book in for a flu jab now, this is my first one as I was diagnosed in February.

I just wondered what people opinions are you having it or not having it.

I am slightly more inclined to go for it but am concerned about side effects etc after having it.

Reactions: redtree92

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am slightly more inclined to go for it but am concerned about side effects etc after having it.

I got mine last week at a pharmacy, the area around the injection site was tender for a couple of days but apart from that no side-effects.

As a type 1 you really should consider going for the flu jab, if you were ever unfortunate to get flu you would realise how difficult it is to keep your diabetes under control.

Reactions: louiisehelen

3Kerry

Type of diabetes
Carer
My son has been diabetic for nearly six years and i take him to get his flu jab every year. He has never had any side effects. Better to have it done to help protect yourself.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Worth getting - considering the flu that went round last year and flattened both my parents (who normally never get flu). I always do get it if I can (I'm going on Wednesday to my local Boots since I can get it done there rather than have to go to my local GP). Even getting a cold my BS was all over the show so I'd be inclined to defer on the side of caution and get it done. If a sore arm for a couple of day is the worst thing you get out of it, I'd say that's the better of the two possibilities.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive never had any effects other than a slightly sore arm. Id wager a flu wud be much worse!! Best to keep yourself protected.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some years I get a bit of a fever or headache a day or two afterwards. Still keep having it done though.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get regular flu jabs for a while prior to diabetes as i was considered vulnerable for other reasons, and only ever once had a very bad reaction which they claimed wasn't actually due to the jab, but it put me off having one again for years!

Practice later changed the "vulnerabilty" conditions and I wasn't eligible again until 2013 when I was diagnosed as diabetic. First jabs were fine but the next took ages to get over - I just felt totally under the weather for weeks. However, if I could feel poorly from just a tiny jab, and remembering back to when l did have flu as a young very skinny teenager and lost a huge amount of weight that I couldn't actually afford to lose, I decided that getting a real dose of flu again now could be a major disaster area in combination with my diabetes so I'm continuing to go for my jabs and haven't had any further issues. So on balance for me they're definitely the very much lesser of two evils!

Robbity

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my first ever flu jab a fortnight ago following diagnosis with type 1 in February. No side effects at all, clincher for me was how awful my bg levels were when I had an infection.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree with all of the above, living with a health condition means it would be hard to manage your BG levels, I had it prior to diagnosis and it floored me for about 3-4 days, wasn't able to get out of bed, I certainly don't want to ever experience that again so for the sake of a sore arm it is well worth it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I booked mine today, the first I could get was November 4th, 4.18pm.

Reactions: chris lowe

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Never had side effects, just slightly sore arm for a couple of days. I always get the jab, my Nan died when she had flu.

C

chris lowe

Take advantage of the jab, apart from a bit of tenderness where you have the jab there are no side effects. Beleive me you don't want to get flu!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had mine this morning. Arm is a bit stiff when I raise it - this, and the tenderness on leaning, passes within a couple of days usually.

Have not yet (in decades) experienced any ill-feeling symptoms as a result of it.

I have had flu once in my life. I was so very, very ill that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It's a horrible, horrible thing!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I haven't had a letter yet and was diagnosed April....hope one comes through:)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Had flu jab last thursday...had flu jab for last 4 years....not even a sniffle....go for it

D

Deleted member 308541

I am looking forwards to another flu free winter next April when I get my next FluVax.

pelirocco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had mine today , first one as only recently diagnosed.its not a live vaccine so there should be no problems. I have flu twice in the past, trust me it's not something anyone would want

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Totally worth getting, as for side effects only a slight ache at the injection site for a couple of days.
I've never had the flu and hope i never will, as just a snotty little cold that i have at the moment drained me of energy for a day so if i can lessen the effects of flu by any margin its the way forward.

Regards

Martin

Last edited: