Type 1: Help me please. I feel really sad and depressed.

Miko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, My name is Mikołaj im Polish and 12 years old. In March I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I really hate it so much and I dont find a way to cope with it. I really hate it when I cant eat what I like. Now you will say "you can eat everything but dose insulin!" No , sadly it doesnt work like that for me , there are many products which dont have any info about carbs on them. Even If there was I have to eat on selected hours , I hate this too. I often see my friends eating some cool snacks and chocolate and that makes me upset and sad. And insulin injections hurt so much. One day before I got diagnosed I watched a documentary about diabetes. They didnt seem hard to cope with back then when I watched it. Now I know its a living hell. I'd love it to be the same it was before I got diabetes :( When I used to go out on pizza with my friends. When I was so happy :( I didnt even cause it , I couldnt prevent it , I couldnt know I will have it. My biggest dream is to get cured one day. I really often cry. And my friends laugh of me sometimes. I even had a friend I met on facebook but she doesnt like me anymore because I got diagnosed.I've read a lot of fake articles about cure. I wish one day there will be a cure and I pray for it everyday. My life is hell since I got diagnosed. My life got ruined. Help me please I need a cure...

edithh23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry mikolaj . But it does get better! a way you can stop the depression is ignoring what you friends think because being diabetic is quiet special.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aww @Miko : ( I remember feeling like that when I was diagnosed - I was upset and also quite angry.

But it does get easier. You'll learn to cope with diabetes and not let it get you down. It's a horrible thing, but don't let it steal your happiness.

There will be a cure one day - we just have to keep going and keep as healthy as we can until that day comes :)

Reactions: 10 people

Judie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt just like that when I was diagnosed.I still have bouts of depression now mainly when I am not losing weight.I am not large.Size 14 now but have been told I need to lose another stone which will bring me down to 10 St 5 lbs, a weight I haven't been since I was 15. You have to stay strong. The depression goes when you re organise your lifestyle.Good luck.

Edited by a mod to remove comments that aren't relevant to a young person with Type 1, and advice that may be inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Miko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all guys for support. But you are all talking about "you're going to cope with it" and all , but isnt there any way to get happy faster? Also being diabetic doesnt make me special. It makes me other than my friends.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically Miko you are stuck with it. That is not news that will help you to get happy faster but it is somewhere to start. So, from here what can you do to cheer yourself up. You could avoid playing the sympathy card with your friends and experiment to see what you can do without them knowing you are diabetic. What about Googling foods to find the carb content. Just search for "carbs in <name of food>". Find a pen friend on here that will email you etc.

saraelbanaxx

Thank you all guys for support. But you are all talking about "you're going to cope with it" and all , but isnt there any way to get happy faster? Also being diabetic doesnt make me special. It makes me other than my friends.
I was diagnosed at 12 and it's now been nearly 6yrs. It was very hard for me at first. But I had a diabetic mum and dad. I also didn't tell many people at first. I told a few teachers at school and didn't really tell my friends. I am still insulin dependant and my advice to you is that don't let your friends get you down, if you want to eat the chocolates and sweets, you can but in moderation so you never feel left out. Keep fighting and stay strong because there should be a cure soon or if there isn't one soon, there are treatments that are improving.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hi everyone.

I myself do not have diabetes. I have my own (different) problems :)

I know a few people the same age as Miko who have been diagnosed at an early age and its so very difficult for them and their family. Their school friends at that age sometimes do not understand the pain that they go through and bullying and teasing is a common thing as I'm sure you are aware. Also acceptance is a very hard thing. A lot of people find it very hard to accept that they have diabetes and its natural that they think of diabetes as being the end of their happiness. They tend to focus their mind on all the negative things and forget that they can still enjoy life just as much or even more. Having a strong positive mind is a must! However I know that its very hard to think positively when all around you is change. Some times their parents do not understand how much it affects their kids too. But I know that if they work together and share their feelings honestly and openly and work with the many support groups that are available that they will learn to control this illness and have a very happy life!

Miko... I wish you the very best and I believe that you will take control and have a very happy life! By posting here on this forum I know you will make many friends and find some awesome support in your journey! Stay strong and live happy!

Andrew