Type 1 Type 1, high levels, heat rash

louW91

Hi all, Happy Easter!

Newbie here! :) I'm looking for some advice please.

My fiance is Type 1 diabetic. Over the last couple of weeks when he has a shower/bath or spends a bit of time in the sun he is coming out in what seems to be a heat rash. He's also now got quite dry and flaky skin on his face. This may be a completely separate issue but I just wondered if this might be diabetes related as his sugar levels have been sitting quite high for a couple of weeks now? Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem when their levels have been consistently high?

We know the first port of call is getting his levels down, he was following a low carb diet for quite a while which was great for his levels so he is going back to that from tomorrow :)

Thanks!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone can get heat rashes, diabetic or not.

Higher sugars may not help him get rid of it but I wouldn't have thought would've caused it, the first time I got a heat rash was when I was on holiday and whilst my sugars levels weren't as good as they are now, they were a lot better than when they had previously been consistently high (which was most of my childhood and teens and twenties lol) when i never got a heat rash
When I had said heat rash anti-histamines helped

Probably best to get it checked out by the docs.

Reactions: ert

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Probably best to get it checked out by the docs.

Most T1s find that their blood sugar levels go up when they are ill, so the rash may be a cause rather than an effect of the high bgs.
Welcome to the forums @louW91 , I hope your partner feels better soon.