Type 1: Is low HbA1c linked to age & diagnosis period?

alaska

I'm looking to understand how low an HbA1c is realistic for people with type 1 diabetes of differing ages and recency of diagnosis.

I feel that with good management, An HbA1c of below 6% (42 mmol/mol) is attainable for most of us so I'd be interested to hear from all of you with type 1 and HbA1c under 6% (42 mmol/mol) to take part.

To take part, provide:
  • HbA1c
  • How long ago you were diagnosed (which year?)
  • How often you experience hypos -as more hypos/time in hypo will mean lower HbA1c
Hypos part isn't super necessary but, if you can provide an idea, it'll help people understand how much the HbA1c may be influenced by low blood sugar.

alaska

To get things started, I have:

Last HbA1c (Sep 2016): 5.8% (40 mmol/mol)
Diagnosed: 24 years ago (1992)
Hypos: Libre states I'm hypo for 4% of the time in the last 90 days (77 events in 90 days)

Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly I don't think you'd get too many respondees! What's the government figure, only about 10% or something like that actually hit the target set?

It may also be worth asking what method is used - MDI or pump or something else.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last HbA1c [Dec 2015....:nailbiting:]: 7.9%
Diagnosed: 17 years ago (1999)
Hypos: 3.6% over the last 90 days

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last HbA1c was Nov'15 at 7.3%, looking at my meters records for the last month and a bit (it got replaced) and using this sites average blood converter it works it out at 6.5% (we'll see in a fortnight).
Diagnosed: 19yrs ago (May 1997)
Hypos: 37 days, 222 blood samples done, 17 were under 4 - actually now I've sat down and worked this out, that's quite a high amount of lows!

On MDI, levemir and novorapid.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
  • HbA1c: 5.9%/40mmol/mol - mid-September 2016 during period of pumping with smartguard (worst Hba1C over period post-diagnosis was 7.5%)
  • How long ago you were diagnosed (which year?): 28 years ago (1988)
  • How often you experience hypos -as more hypos/time in hypo will mean lower HbA1c: Classing Hypos as <3.5mmol/l as per the regaining Hypo Awareness program, 3% of the time. My normal classification is 3.8mmol/l, when I feel them, 6% of the time. Severe hypos requiring assistance? None for years.
The factor I'd add to this to explain my Hba1C is "Time in Range". I class in-range as 3.8-8.8 mmol/l. My "time in range" for this is 81%, with a mean glucose when in range of 5.9mmol/l, a median of 5.8mmol/l and a standard deviation of 1.2mmol/l.

Currently hybrid closed looping.

Last edited:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hypos: 37 days, 222 blood samples done, 17 were under 4 - actually now I've sat down and worked this out, that's quite a high amount of lows!
That's because hypos tend to show a bias in blood testing. We are more likely to test when we think we are hypo.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Last HbA1c (Sep 2016): 4.8%
Diagnosed: coming up to 5 years
Hypos: Had two last week on holiday in Spain after too much walking after meals. Very rare otherwise. No severe hypos yet (fingers crossed etc)
I'm still MDI and fingerpricking.

Okulu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last HbA1c [July 2016]: 6.7%
Diagnosed: 19 years ago (Nov 1997)
Hypos: 8% over the last 90 days
Pumping since August 2015