Type 1: Kidney pain

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi
I try and keep my blood sugars within range but I still struggle 10 months on. I have started to notice that when I have an episode of a high blood sugar around 10-12 I get a pain in my left kidney for example if I'm bending, standing/sitting down. Is this something I should worry about and mention to my doctor or is it just something we have to contend with thanks in advance

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @hisjen84

I'd definitely mention it to your doctor. It might be nothing but it's always good to get reassurance.

Is there anything in particular you're struggling with regarding control?

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well hisjen84 ..
i am a lucky kidney transplant of ten years insulin user for 59 years i would suggest just get some advice from your local
doctor first then poss a diabetic doctor you may have chill .
as far as i will say that is blood sugar is bit up on normal but i have higher ones over the course of the last year do to bad sites that can case insulin to not be absorbed and have to re needle the all good again
the doc s and med are the best ones to ask unless somebody reply to say they have same .
also have you been doing any different type of work say wallpapering or garden work that may have caused a strain

all the best vic

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi no I've not done anything different, I currently use gliclazide for a genetic form of diabetes. Today is the first time my blood sugar has gone out of range for a week and the pain almost feels immediate. I've noticed it more and more when my blood sugar is raised

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi no I've not done anything different, I currently use gliclazide for a genetic form of diabetes. Today is the first time my blood sugar has gone out of range for a week and the pain almost feels immediate. I've noticed it more and more when my blood sugar is raised

I don't get pain like that, but I do often feel like I'm about to,get cystitis if my blood sugar is high for any length of time. I find drinking plenty can help.

But, even so, I'd still mention it to your doctor and see what he/she suggests. The fact you're noticing it "more and more" needs investigation, I'd say.