Type 1 LCHF and Pump?

mhuiz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I was curious as to who is doing the lchf diet and is type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. What is your humalog in units that's in the background being pumped out every hour? Also, how many grams of carbs, fat and protein are you consuming.

I'm trying to apply for an insulin pump but the team I'm working with doesn't advise I continue with this meal plan- or to atleast eat more than 8 carbs a day for them to feel comfortable giving me the omnipod.

Reactions: sassycat

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I was curious as to who is doing the lchf diet and is type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. What is your humalog in units that's in the background being pumped out every hour? Also, how many grams of carbs, fat and protein are you consuming.

I'm trying to apply for an insulin pump but the team I'm working with doesn't advise I continue with this meal plan- or to atleast eat more than 8 carbs a day for them to feel comfortable giving me the omnipod.
Hi @mhuiz

It might be better to wait until you've got your pump before continuing the low carb diet - best to keep your doctors on side ;)

Also, the amount of insulin you need is unique to you. Basically it's the amount that keeps 'your' blood sugars in range and nobody else's doses will necessarily do that for you.

Reactions: sassycat and mhuiz

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@mhuiz I'd agree with what @robert72 has mentioned in relation to getting the pump. The team will have a set of criteria for you to meet to get on it. It will be easier to justify if your levels are all over the place as a result of doing it, so go with that at first. Play the game to their rules to get what you want.

Once on a pump, LCHF is easy (I've done it on and off for periods of time, and generally eat low, if not very low carb now).

Ratios, basal rates, etc are all individual, so it really makes no difference what mine are. Yours are highly likely to vary from those. The only statement that I would make is that when I eat LCHF, I have much lower bolus requirements. As you might expect!

mhuiz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mhuiz I'd agree with what @robert72 has mentioned in relation to getting the pump. The team will have a set of criteria for you to meet to get on it. It will be easier to justify if your levels are all over the place as a result of doing it, so go with that at first. Play the game to their rules to get what you want.

Once on a pump, LCHF is easy (I've done it on and off for periods of time, and generally eat low, if not very low carb now).

Ratios, basal rates, etc are all individual, so it really makes no difference what mine are. Yours are highly likely to vary from those. The only statement that I would make is that when I eat LCHF, I have much lower bolus requirements. As you might expect!
Good to know! Thanks for that. However, they scare me off about getting the pump because when I'm doing lchf and doing the fasting days.. if I'm drastically reducing my basal and I get any stress or injury that I will not have enough background insulin to save me from going into dka.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hang on a minute....

Lchf and fasting days??

1) what you eat should not drastically affect your basal. I low carbed all my adult life but can still have high carb days or nno eating days at all before operations.....

Stress? Injury?on a pump if you are a high carber and the pump fails then you will suffer DKA a lot quicker!! Stress or injury would be easily catered for with a TBR.

I suggest you just go a long with what the docs say and get happy with using a pump first but to be honest the reasoning you added in about stress injury etc is well... not the best info I have heard.....

Confused about first post where you mention just 8g of carb a day? Blimey.. even 1/2l of milk has more than that? Why are you intending to go so low as that? A good mix of vegetables will have that much up to 25g if you include some butternut squash/broccoli/courgette etc..

Why the need to do fasting days? Is it your intention to go a whole 24 hour without food?

Reactions: Picci and Medusa41