Type 1 Life on a Narrowboat

Baggsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,
Got a question....At some point in the near future it is looking likely that my wife an I will have a few years living on a Narrowboat. However as we live in Cornwall and obviously thats where my GP is, how would I go about getting my prescriptions without having to travel from wherever we are on the canal network, back to Cornwall? It wouldn't be practical to register with a different practise every time I require a repeat prescription. Currently my practise are happy to double my amounts, due to working abroad but I cant see them wanting to give me 6 months + at a time. Any ideas anyone?
Cheers Baggsy

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I can only tell you how my GP works with patients. His practice will only keep me on his books if my registered and living address is withing a call-out driving distance which he deems to be an eight mile radius. Like yours he will give me scripted meds for a maximum of two months.
My suggestion is to seek advice from your GP's practice manager and if that does not prove fruitful then try your nearest Boots. My local Boots has the most helpful pharmacy manager I have ever met and has been a great help over the years.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you arrange for someone to pick up your prescription from the GPs? They could then forward it on to you. Presumably most marinas where barges haul up will accept and hold post.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Assuming your going to be back home occasionally over this time I can't see there being a problem. You need to speak either with your gp or practise manager and ask if they can fax your prescription through to a pharmacy nearest to where you are travelling, obviously you'll need to provide details of the pharmacy when requesting the repeat but as long as you attend your diabetes appointment there shouldn't be any issues, they'll tell you anyway's if it is a problem and how you can get your supplies otherwise.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Baggsy said:
Hello all,
Got a question....At some point in the near future it is looking likely that my wife an I will have a few years living on a Narrowboat. However as we live in Cornwall and obviously thats where my GP is, how would I go about getting my prescriptions without having to travel from wherever we are on the canal network, back to Cornwall? It wouldn't be practical to register with a different practise every time I require a repeat prescription. Currently my practise are happy to double my amounts, due to working abroad but I cant see them wanting to give me 6 months + at a time. Any ideas anyone?
Cheers Baggsy

You will then be a member of the "Travelling" community. I'd get in touch with your local council to see what aid there is for them.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Some good advice there so nothing to add except I'm jealous! :mrgreen: sounds wonderful so I do hope you have a great time and hope to do the same in the future myself. :D