type 1.. low carb diet.. need to loose weight.. HELP!

natashajade1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, i am new to this and i am really looking for some good advise!

i am 25 with type 1 diabetes, i have three children the youngest being 9 months.
i have always have quite good control of my blood sugars but recently its been quite difficult and i have put on quite some weight since having my last child.
i have read a lot about low carb diets, low protein diets ect.. i just don't know where to start.
i need to get in more exercise as i am at home all the time with my children and husband goes out to work, so i'm not very mobile or active!
i am just so worried that with the exercise and less carbs that my blood sugars will be low all of the time and i have no idea what to do with y insulin.. i am very confused but i need to do something.

so any advise would be very much appreciated!

Reactions: Mimi83

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi :)

I bet you’re a lot more active than you think, running around after the little ones, plus weightlifting a nine month old!

There’s a great website called Diet Doctor (www.dietdoctor.com) which tells you all you need to know about getting started, with loads of recipes and info. It’s really nicely presented.

You will need to drop your insulin if you reduce your carb intake, so it’s a good idea to reduce it step by step rather than all in one go, and be prepared for hypos by stashing glucose tablets everywhere! My basal has halved and I only take a couple of bolus units a day now. I assume you can and do count carbs currently, so you know what your intake is? Have you done DAFNE?

Reactions: natashajade1

natashajade1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thank you for replying to my post

when i was pregnant i went on an all vegan diet and i literally had to take 1-2 units of insulin, it was amazing, but my blood sugars were always low, so i know to expect hypos i just don't want to, its so scary being low with the children around. this is why i need the advice.
i remember about 8 years ago the hospital wanted me to attend a DAFNE group but i never attended so i have no idea what it is about.
i used to carb count, now i just kind of know how much insulin to take but maybe that's where i am going wrong as i end up with hypos or high bloods. kind of just all over the place at the moment

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hypos with little ones can get really tedious, I’ve only had the one and it was bad enough. Child, not hypo! Maybe reduce your insulin and then your carbs to meet it rather than the other way around to avoid too many? I have found now that any hypos I do have are much more slow to come on and much milder than before, purely because there’s so much less insulin sloshing around.

A lot of people use the ratio of 1 unit fast acting to 10g carbs - that works for me most of the day but in the mornings I need 1.5/10g. But less of both means much less of a sugar rollercoaster.