Type 1 & Mental health

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm 21 years old and have been diabetic for 10 years now and I'm just seeking other peoples opinions and thoughts on having a life long condition and their mental health.
I know not everyone will be willing to discuss it openly on a thread but if you'd like to privately message me id appreciate it a lot.

I always had good control on my sugars had perfect hospital check ups, losing weight as i should and it never stopped me doing what i wanted to do but that all changed 4 years ago when i started to become ill ALOT spending every other day in A&E. missing out on school, missing out on valuable studying time for my GCSE's because i was asleep or in so much pain i couldn't bare the thought of looking at a book i went under so many tests for 3 years until i was diagnosed with Gastroperisis which in my personal opinion is worse than having diabetes, it hurts beyond belief and makes you feel so ill which is where the connection with metal health comes in, I strongly believe that having these conditions effects me alto and effects the way i think and act.
I'm getting better, its becoming easier or so it seems but i know I'm still not the "happy" 11 year old i was before all of it started.
So I'm just asking... Has anyone else noticed a connection between this condition and their mental health? and if so what have you done to help it? or to at least control it?
Some advice and chat with people who get it would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Keep smiling oxo

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @keishamarie ,

I don't have Gastroperisis myself. But just a thought regarding helping you with others regarding shared experiences.
Maybe tag "Gastroperisis" in your thread tittle?

I feel this would help you touch base with fellow members & this specific condition..

Kind regards.

J>

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The thing I'm often most aware of is that I'm grateful for being diagnosed at age 10. I've recently (last seven years) developed digestive problems (see separate thread). Thankfully not as bad as gastroparesis. At least not yet. But I have on several occasions become quite upset and depressed about it. I'm sure it's partly due to developing this problem in adulthood, after knowing my life and (relative) freedom beforehand. Another part of it, though, is that we very often take it for granted that we can eat what we like.

Ultimately, I know there's no point in my negative thoughts, as they won't change anything. If anything, they'll only make things worse. I just have to get on with it. Easier said than done, but we just have to keep reminding ourselves of the Stoic approach. Change what we can, and accept what we can't.