Type 1 Type 1 midday food

PMJ

I have a diabetes review yesterday and it didn't go well. One of the issues is my midday meal. I generally take a packed lunch consisting of sandwiches and a few snack things. However my HB1C was sitting at 93 and he Doc was not happy and mentioned my diet in general my wife looks after me very well and we always eat healthy Except for my midday lunch. What is an alternative to sandwiches. I don't have access to a cooker or microwave so I am limited in what I can take to the office Need help on this Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why do we think sandwiches are unhealthy? Why has this become the focus of blame for a high hba1c? Do you bolus for your lunch? What do your sugars look like after lunch?

PMJ

Sugars are all over the place for example last night I had a reading of 16 before dinner had steak and chips. Took 12 units of insulin and within 2 hours had a reading of 2.8. However at lunch had a reading of 13 took 10 units of insulin and that produced the reading before dinner

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugars are all over the place for example last night I had a reading of 16 before dinner had steak and chips. Took 12 units of insulin and within 2 hours had a reading of 2.8. However at lunch had a reading of 13 took 10 units of insulin and that produced the reading before dinner

Are you carb counting? How many carbs were in dinner? And what's your insulin to carb ratio?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Re the chips, the oil they're cooked in will tend to slow down absorption (fat rom the steak too) so there's a chance that your insulin has peaked around two hours dropping you because the glucose from the chips breaking down hasn't yet reached your blood stream. A way of testing this is to test an hour or two later: if there's a spike there it's maybe becauseyour bolus is past it's peak but the chip glucose is only reaching your bloodstream then. I tend not to low carb but avoid chips because (a) I don't like them that much anyway (although OK with tomato sauce!), and (b) absorption is unpredictable.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband takes a salad to lunch daily usually consisting of cheese cherry tomatoes, cucumber, hard boiled eggs, mayo and a pickled onion. He is a manual worker so expends a lot of energy at work. He usually has a small tub of nuts or an apple as well as a chocolate biscuit obviously the biscuit is not suitable for you. He is not diabetic but follows the LCHF Diet to keep me company. (He has lost 15lbs I've lost 11!) if it is very cold he can take a flask of homemade soup.