What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see the animals are still eating as well as you @Antje77 ! You have some good looking meals there.
Today I spent walking and listening through my new earbuds to the first day livestream of the PHC conference which was brilliant and thought provoking. It was especially nice to chat to @shelley262 online in between the talks and discuss them. I’m looking forward to tomorrow already.
B- Greek yoghurt and seeds.
L- cheese and mushroom omelette with salad.
D- another M&S yellow sticker job: chicken breast wrapped in bacon with a mustard sauce. Served with green beans and a glass of l/c red wine. View attachment 67740
Your chicken in bacon with sauce looks excellent for a quick prep meal. I can't wait until tomorrow either some very thought provoking information about using the way we eat to improve our metabolic health see you there.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm way behind with posting again, I enjoy working during the week and spending time with my neighbour in the weekend, but it leaves less time and energy to spend on the internet.
So here's this weeks food, I always think I'm going to post so I do make pictures! :hilarious:

Sunday: An experimental asparagus and nettle soup. Yuck! :yuck:
Very bad idea, don't try this please.

View attachment 67725

Monday should have been the second day of the soup, but one day was more than enough. So LC bread with chorizo and a fishy mayo type thing.

View attachment 67726

Tuesday: Green beans, onion and bell pepper flavoured with some black beans in chilli oil and soy sauce, with thin pork belly strips marinated in a black bean and garlic sauce.

View attachment 67727

Wednesday: Same, with an added duck egg.

View attachment 67728

Thursday: And again.

View attachment 67729

View attachment 67730
Never mind @Antje77. Thank you for taking all those photos.

Much as I enjoy home-made soups, it seems a shame to use asparagus spears now at the peak of their short season. That said, imported asparagus is available for most of the year and the fibrous ends of the spears, which are usually discarded, make a tasty broth which can form the basis of some delicious soups.

I have a patch of stinging nettles (growing well away from a path I might add), but have never experimented with nettle soup. Has anybody here had a go? (My plants are left undisturbed in the hope that a passing Small Tortoiseshell or Peacock butterfly will lay some eggs).

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Never mind @Antje77. Thank you for taking all those photos.

Much as I enjoy home-made soups, it seems a shame to use asparagus spears now at the peak of their short season. That said, imported asparagus is available for most of the year and the fibrous ends of the spears, which are usually discarded, make a tasty broth which can form the basis of some delicious soups.

I have a patch of stinging nettles (growing well away from a path I might add), but have never experimented with nettle soup. Has anybody here had a go? (My plants are left undisturbed in the hope that a passing Small Tortoiseshell or Peacock butterfly will lay some eggs).
Tom used to make nettle soup using just the small leaves from the tips of the plants. I think his soup contained onion and potato though and he said it was very like young spinach rather than mature spinach leaves or kale. Never felt like trying it myself, I have to say but he grew a nettle patch in the (rather large) garden at his parents' house.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two poached eggs and scallops, asparagus spears smothered with butter, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Tuna steaks rolled in finely chopped celery and oregano, baked with sweet red peppers and aubergines, moistened with double cream and topped with extra mature Cheddar cheese.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, avocado, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and Kalamata olives with home-made aioli for dipping and topped with roasted macadamia nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday
Breakfast lc buffet. Took some cheese, ham and nuts for lunch.
L: at a wine tasting. Only 9 to try!!! Limited myself to the dry whites and reds. Nibbles provided so had cheese, nuts and salami. However resolve failed and had 2 wonderful sweet marzipan biscuits to finish.

D: Aperol spritz aperitif, shared a mixed fish starter that was so big didn't really need more (squid, tuna, prawns Marie Rose, octopus salad, smoked salmon, smoked haddock, langoustine and crevete) so had them box up the bressola, walnut and cream cheese salad I'd ordered. Wine was drunk.

Saturday
Breakfast buffet, avoided all carbs. Saved cheese and nuts for lunch.

L: yesterday's salad with extra brie and nuts. Half a coffee gelato.

D: caprese salad (tomatoes, mozzarella and basil) followed by unnamed white fish that came in a tomato and caper sauce. Wine was drunk.

Have done 13000 average steps each day

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, for lunch today I had a bacon sourdough sarnie, which was lovely. So I thought I'd end today with something a bit more low carb, so I had a chicken tikka with a side salad, which was as equally lovely. Excuse the slightly dark photo.

PXL_20240518_212920169.jpg

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Ok guys, once again please cut the chat, please stick to what you’ve eaten, photos are great! Any other chat please take to the parallel thread. It did improve greatly & thank you for that, but it’s slipping back again. Going forward, anything more than what you’ve eaten and a sentence or two (not paragraphs) that is relevant to your choices & the post will be deleted. If someone asks for a recipe then it’s fine to post your recipe or a link to the recipe, but once again keep the chat to being relevant to the recipe.

Also, any posts discussing this CTO will be treated as derailing the thread and will be deleted. Mods would like to remind members of the forum rule C7 “Moderator decisions are final”

Thank you for your cooperation.

Parallel thread is here, please use it for chat.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of weeks ago I did home made chicken shawarma, so I thought I'd try a bought version. And I had it with steamed Savoy cabbage and a few boiled Jersey Royals with butter on. Although the bought shawarma was nice, I think I preferred my home made version.

PXL_20240519_120332672.PORTRAIT.jpg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Tea x 2
Coffee and cream x 2
Gouda Ham and coleslaw
Gouda tomato and Ham.....
Might have another coffee and cream later

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast one slice of bacon egg and LC toast
Lunch kimchi with smoked salmon followed by a couple of strawberries and spoon in yoghurt
Dinner treat of fillet steak with mushrooms, onions and a few tomatoes and glass of red wine
IMG_20240519_173439_kindlephoto-450089184.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B- lump of cheddar and a handful of walnuts before settling down to listen to another super informative set of talks and discussions at the PHC conference.
L- l/c toast and pate.
D- slow roast lamb breast, parmesan and cream cabbage, steamed broccoli. DGF cookie.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Today:

B: Two eggs scrambled in butter with a generous dollop of double cream, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Baked whole sea bass, belly stuffed with fennel fronds and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
Steamed asparagus spears topped with a knob of butter.
Baked calabrese, cauliflower, leeks, onions, garlic and Romano peppers.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Salad made with anchovy fillets, eggs, avocado, rocket, Padrón chillies, salad onions, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with pecan halves.
Water to wash down tablets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok guys, once again please cut the chat, please stick to what you’ve eaten, photos are great! Any other chat please take to the parallel thread. It did improve greatly & thank you for that, but it’s slipping back again. Going forward, anything more than what you’ve eaten and a sentence or two (not paragraphs) that is relevant to your choices & the post will be deleted. If someone asks for a recipe then it’s fine to post your recipe or a link to the recipe, but once again keep the chat to being relevant to the recipe.

Also, any posts discussing this CTO will be treated as derailing the thread and will be deleted. Mods would like to remind members of the forum rule C7 “Moderator decisions are final”

Thank you for your cooperation.

Parallel thread is here, please use it for chat.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/
Could you please provide examples of what has recently consistuted "chat". I do find it all so confusing

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: scrambled egg, cheese, ham, 1 small slice melon, greek yoghurt, milled seeds. 1 fig biscuit

L: tuna salad and a slice of spinach pie. Left most of the crust. Half a scoop ice cream

Mid afternoon a full scoop ice cream

D: aperol spritz, tablespoon pasta, some sort of meat with a stuffing. Some sort of ricotta cheese dessert. Red wine. We were at a group dinner where no menu or choices were provided

Libre says 9.5 but only for a short time. The midafternoon ice cream was worse. For me it's quantity that does it

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Could you please provide examples of what has recently consistuted "chat". I do find it all so confusing
I do not normally read any chat threads and don't often read general 'food threads', I'm not a sociable person, so I very rarely chat, thus am probably not the best to answer this. Also, I don't want to pick on any one person since it isn't just one.

"What have you eaten today" is about just that - food you actually got down your throat. Especially if it was really nice or if it gave an unexpected BG reaction.
Chat is all the other things - where you went, who you were with, how you felt, mistakes in choosing food so it was not edible, asking others about those things etc.

There have been several recent borderline posts which contained about as much 'chat' as about what was eaten. Too many of those will disrupt this thread.

I'm actually disrupting this thread by answering you, but I hope my fellow moderators will understand why I do so in the thread rather than a PM.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: Gammon steak with a side salad and mayo.

2024-05-20 18.58.46.jpeg